Nottingham Tram Fine no ticket Express Transit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3536 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. My sister has just returned to Nottingham Trent University after being home for the summer.

She got on the tram as usual expecting to buy a ticket from the conductor as she always has done previously.

When the conductor arrived, she asked him for a return ticket. He simply said "can you come with me please" then he took her off the tram at the station they were up to, and the tram drove off. He then told her that you now have to prepurchase all tickets before boarding the tram and because she had not done that she will be issued with a £50 fine. He said he can see from your face that your shocked and genuine, so I have to give you this but don't worry you can appeal it.

He gave her lots of advice on the appeal such as mentioned how she'd been home for the summer and wasn't aware of the new arrangements. She was very flustered, close to tears, a car drove past pipping his horn and someone shouted "ha ha you haven't paid for your ticket" so she was very embarrassed, a crowd was watching plus about 10 ticket collectors were all watching.

She gave him her details and ID under intimidation and with the promise that she could simply appeal it.

All they have given her is a flimsy carbon copy with no details or websites or anything. She can't remember the appeals info he gave her as she was so flustered.

He then said she doesn't need a ticket now and put her on the next tram to continue her journey!

The fine is for £50. We assume they will send her a letter as there is no instructions on how or who to pay.

Over the summer they have added an A5 size sign on a lamppost along the platform, some stickers on the tram doors which aren't visible when they're open and stickers inside the tram which is too late. The ticketmachine also has a new sticker, but the machine is at the other end of the platform where 90% of people have no reason to walk past.

She's gone back and taken some pictures. See if you can spot the signs!

Here is the platform with its big new sign

cNykna.jpg

This is the sign on the tram doors. It's that green bit, and obviously the doors are usually already open!

QLXzjR.jpg

Here is the PCN they gave her, after getting her to sign it

l8xEli.jpg

There is nothing on the back.

Should this NET ticket be viewed as worthless as those from private carparks or taken more seriously like those from the council?

A Google brings up several similar stories

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Tram-traveller-starts-petition-50-fines/story-21446293-detail/story.html

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Vicky-victorious-pound-50-tram-fine-appeal/story-22875134-detail/story.html

How should she proceed? Personally I would'nt have given him a name or ID but what would they have done about it?

Being an unemployed student she is very worried, and also quite shaken as she feels like she has been found guilty of a crime and publicly shamed.

Thanks

Howdo NMM

Customer Services can give her more info

CUSTOMER SERVICES TEAM 0115 942 7777

FYI she should take this seriously as its from the council.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi nomoremoney

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what has happened (sister thought tickets could still be bought on trams from the conductor), how they have let you down (process for purchasing tickets has changed although that's o.k.,there is inadequate signage, explain that the whole situation has left your sister distressed, etc) and what you want them to do (withdraw the fine). Send the pictures you have taken to back up your case.

Send it to:-

Mr Phil Hewitt

CEO

NET Nottingham Tram

p.hewitt@tramlinknottingham.co.uk

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the reply. I'll do just that. I worry about not following their official appeals process, although it seems wrong to be told "for more information, to pay, or to appeal, go to our website". The website or even a phone number is not even on the ticket. If my gran was in the same situation what would she do as she doesn't even have a computer!?

Hi nomoremoney

Because it's a Penalty Fine, you still need to deal with the Penalty Fine as well as writing a Formal Letter of Complaint, as it can have consequences.

Thank you for the reply. I'll do just that. I worry about not following their official appeals process, although it seems wrong to be told "for more information, to pay, or to appeal, go to our website". The website or even a phone number is not even on the ticket. If my gran was in the same situation what would she do as she doesn't even have a computer!?