Priceless... !!! - Thousands unable to re-new car tax, as new system stalls

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Gawd blimey, it sounds like DVLA weren't prepared enough (no suprises ere!) at all for Taxing your Vehicle online.

So what happens to those who were/are unable to tax their Vehicle online?

Added to say;

I remember as a young girl late 70s & 80s, me mum would drive us around the East End in her car with no tax disc displayed, from time to time.

Instead she would write a little sign stating "Tax Disc in Post" to display in its place.

I cannot remember a time for her being stopped & done for this. (She also got away with DD with 2 kids in her bliddin car as well).

Mind it was a different times back then & different ways of handling things!!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

I dunno why this is such an issue really.

For the 1st two weeks of October my wife was driving her car with no tax as it expired on the 30th September but since we didn't get a reminder we didn't check until I noticed my bike was out of tax.

I have to admit I went on line that same night, put in all the details, paid for it and got an email a few mins later stating everything was all paid up to date though it was back dated to the 1st of October.

I think what gets me now is the fact it's no longer road/car/bike tax but it seems to be a tax on the registered keeper as it's no longer transferable when you sell the vehicle. And what gets me all the more is if I decide to sell a vehicle in the middle of the month I'll only get back the full months left to run and the new owner has to back date the tax to the 1st of that month. So in effect they're being paid twice for the same month.

If I sell my car on 15th November, I won't get back the money for November and the new owner has to pay for all of November despite only having the vehicle for only half that month meaning they're paid twice for November just because the ownership has changed. Now that's a real [problem].

All Vehicle Registrations and Driving Licences administration were carried out by County Councils. When the functions were transferred to the newly formed DVLA in the early 1970s they commenced on a series of well publicised blunders, delays, data losses that they seem to happily continue to this day (eg. last week after 7 weeks waiting my Son's UK address received a response to my letter pointing out they failed to issue my "Tax Free for Visitors" vehicle with the correct "Export" Registration Document and now just included a load of forms for me to deal with. No apology - of course).

Not changed much!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

If I sell my car on 15th November, I won't get back the money for November and the new owner has to pay for all of November despite only having the vehicle for only half that month meaning they're paid twice for November just because the ownership has changed. Now that's a real [problem].

But that's how it's always been except the transfering to a new owner. If you sold you car and took the disc, you would only get a refund for the full months left and the new owner would have to pay from the beggining of the current month, or am I reading you wrong?

But that's how it's always been except the transfering to a new owner. If you sold you car and took the disc, you would only get a refund for the full months left and the new owner would have to pay from the beggining of the current month, or am I reading you wrong?

I think you're reading me wrong.

Before there was the option of selling a vehicle with tax and test, the tax stayed with the car. Now the tax is with the registered keeper and not the vehicle so it's no longer transferable or can be used as a selling feature. Regardless of anything, the last owner gets a refund on what he/she has paid so the vehicle immediately becomes 'untaxed' meaning the new owner has to re-tax it even if there is 2 or 3 months tax already paid.

I wonder how long it'll be before this starts to apply to MOT's and they too become invalid once ownership has changed?

Just tried to SORN OH's car and got this:-

Service Unavailable

We’re really sorry that our online licensing service is not currently available. We’ll be back as soon as we can.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

That time of night is probably routine maintenance / backup.

It didn't say so, but I managed to do it using automated phone line. Went to pick up car this morning to find the garage had left it on the road!!

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I took the pay monthly by direct debit option, a bit less painful than forking out 6 months at a time (can't ever remember paying for 12 months in one go lol)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I took the pay monthly by direct debit option, a bit less painful than forking out 6 months at a time (can't ever remember paying for 12 months in one go lol)

Just remember when your MOT is or I would guess it may not work, and if you don't SORN I imagine that DVLA will have a nice new money maker, especially if you aren't careful about checking your bank account! Of course if the money isn't there you can get hit with bank charges. On the plus side it's only 5% extra if you pay by DD but don't pay for the full year in one go, instead of 10% as it was for only paying 6 months.

My garage reminds me at least a month before the MOT and the DD comes out the day after I get paid so hopefully I've got it covered :)

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

My garage reminds me at least a month before the MOT and the DD comes out the day after I get paid so hopefully I've got it covered :)

My garage will remind me but I have to pay for it and I'm a bit of a skinflint (caused by necessity) but possibly worth the £2 or £3 it costs.

They charge for reminding you that you need to come and pay them money for the MOT ? that's a bit cheeky