Statutory Demand...Set a side...& Costs?

t4traveller
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Can someone please advise me on how I can calculate costs on defending a Statutory Demand,

the defence has been carried out totally by myself. Also can I claim compensation.

I was issued with a SD although both the solicitor for the other side and his clients were fully aware that I have been in dispute with them for 12 months.

Following my application to Set Aside I have now received notification that the opposition have withdrawn the SD

and that I should contact the court and have the hearing removed.

In fact their solicitor has written to the court telling them the hearing should be removed.

Although I am pleased that the SD has been withdrawn I was happy to go to court against my landlord

as I feel the issue of SD's with full knowledge of dispute can only be viewed as abuse of the legal system and bullying.

I have informed the court I wish the hearing to go ahead as I will be seeking costs for the time I have spent preparing everything for my defence.

Following receipt of the SD I ended up being taken to hospital by ambulance and was diagnosed as having an angina attack,

following 8 days in hospital I then had the stress of getting all the evidence together and deliver the application for set aside to the court in time.

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

I am not sure that the opposition has the right to demand your application be withdrawn - only the person making the application can do that.

I will try and find someone who can answer your questions.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I am not sure that the opposition has the right to demand your application be withdrawn - only the person making the application can do that.

I will try and find someone who can answer your questions.

I think that is the correct position. There was another case on here, where the defendant making the set aside was awarded their reasonable costs. It would be £18 per hour, plus other general costs you incurred in having to do the set aside.

But you would have to be certain enough that you would win the set aside and make a proper argument. If you failed with the set aside, then they could proceed with a bankruptcy petition.

Hopefully someone better informed will add their reply.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you citizen

I am sure that the opposition cannot suggest to the court that a hearing is cancelled and I feel that a solicitor doing so is overstepping the mark. This particular solicitor appears to make a habit of manipulating people as another lessee on site has just had her SD set aside and said solicitor wrote to her telling her she had to contact the court cancelling her hearing because his client was withdrawing the SD. She refused and got approximately £800 costs awarded :-)

Thank you unclebulgaria67

I want to be reasonable with regard costs but at the same time feel that I should claim as the use of SD's are being abused and used as a bully tactic which has already worked against some people here.

The problem is I have spent so many hours that if I charged £18/hour the cost would be exorbitant. I had been thinking £12.50/hour and limiting the hours to 20 but wasn't sure if the court may think I was being greedy. There is also the fact that not being legally minded I spent time researching what would be required although the majority of my time was spent finding, printing, scanning, and collating evidence.

Well the only thing the Solicitor has got right is that it is the responsibility of the Applicant who has to contact the court to halt the process. But they do not have to do it purely because the opposition demands it.

It looks to me as though this solicitor and his client are abusing the Statutory Demand process and I think that Courts don't like that much.

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

yes, as was yr app'n, then wld be for you to vacate. may though need to formalise their withdrawal of their sd.

i think costs (Litigant in Person) can still be applied for or negotiated following a withdrawal.

see what others say.

If you hold off doing anything until tomorrow, hopefully someone will look in and give you some idea of what might be considered reasonable.

Did you have to travel to the court to file the application ?

Any postage costs ?

Certainly copying documents can be added to the list.

Research.. perhaps 4/5 hours.

What did the other person you refer to include on their list ?

BCOBS

Thank you unclebulgaria67

I want to be reasonable with regard costs but at the same time feel that I should claim as the use of SD's are being abused and used as a bully tactic which has already worked against some people here.

The problem is I have spent so many hours that if I charged £18/hour the cost would be exorbitant. I had been thinking £12.50/hour and limiting the hours to 20 but wasn't sure if the court may think I was being greedy. There is also the fact that not being legally minded I spent time researching what would be required although the majority of my time was spent finding, printing, scanning, and collating evidence.

£18 per hour is set by the courts. It is the hours that will be looked at. If it took you ages, they might just think you were being slow and having too many tea breaks.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I am advised that you are unlikely to receive compensation and with regards to costs, these should have been requested within your application to set aside. Best you can do now is to attend the hearing, assuming it isn't vacated and present your (realistic) bill of costs.

BCOBS

Thread title amended to reflect the status of claim

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread