Student that cannot move into a house for the second year

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a student from the University of Kent. Recently I signed a contract with a student lettings company (however the landlord has not signed the client copy of the contract must I mention. But this probably doesn't make a difference anyway since there are two signed agreements from all parties with the landlord himself and with the agency.) The rent is from September 2014 to July 2015. There is no break clause from the contract either.

Unfortunately I did not pass one of my exams and I also have a startup company that was just accepted into an accelerator program in the San Francisco in August, so I will be travelling there for a month in August. This is when my resits take place and therefore I won't be able to resit that particular exam, therefore unable to continue with my second year and thus won't be able to pay for my rent in the second year that I am liable for.

I haven't managed to find a replacement tenant either. I am now in a position where I cannot pay the fees for the house as I am not going to University for a year and I do need some urgent advice on this.

There is no way I can afford that rent without going to University, my University won't let me continue unless I resit and the next resit dates are August 2015 - forcing me to take a gap year.

If you guys can help me out here that'll be great!

Cheers!

Edited by rittim

Unless there is anyting it the contract that would give you a get out on the basis that the LL has not signed the terms with the agency (by the time you come to move in) then that may (and it is a very big 'may') give you a way out. otherwise you should start to hope your buisness takes off quickly and when it does remember to read and understand every contract you sign because simple mistakes cost money.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

Just as an observation, you are coming across as someone who is trying to evade responsibility for your choices. You could choose to not go to San Francisco and do the resit. Did you fail because you were spending too much time on your business perhaps?

Focussing on your problem - how to get out of a tenancy agreement that you have signed:

What have you done to find a replacement? There are a number of websites available for letting rooms - I've just had some success with one to find a couple of new tenants for my houseshare.

Have you discussed with the lettings company/landlord as to whether you can buy your way out? It is surely not too late for them to find a replacement, and they may have a procedure. Unless they can suggest a clean break, though (e.g. you pay them a fixed amount to get out of the deal) I would be wary of trusting them as they will have plenty of other houses to fill.