Are these deductions from my modem deposit illegal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I gave a deposit of 50 for a modem when I signed up for an internet connection 6 years ago. I have given them 45 days notice that I want to cancel my account.

They have told me they owe me a deposit of 46.95 (I don't know why they have deducted 3.05) and they have also informed me that they won't return my deposit in cash, but instead by bank transfer (and they are charging me a bank and administrative fee of 8 pounds for the privilege because"A standard bank & administration charge of 8.00 applies on all transfers.")

Can they do this?

I gave a deposit of 50 for a modem when I signed up for an internet connection 6 years ago. I have given them 45 days notice that I want to cancel my account.

They have told me they owe me a deposit of 46.95 (I don't know why they have deducted 3.05) and they have also informed me that they won't return my deposit in cash, but instead by bank transfer (and they are charging me a bank and administrative fee of 8 pounds for the privilege because"A standard bank & administration charge of 8.00 applies on all transfers.")

Can they do this?

It will depend on the terms of the agreement, it's probable that they can charge.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Sorry but I disagree. If they have a deposit system in place then it is their decision and there is no reason why it should have any negative impact. In fact if they have had your deposit for 6 years, I don't see why they don't pay you interest on it.

Sorry but I disagree. ***** If they have a deposit system in place then it is their decision *****and there is no reason why it should have any negative impact. In fact if they have had your deposit for 6 years, I don't see why they don't pay you interest on it.

"If they have a deposit system in place it is their decision". Their decision to charge the "Fees"??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Were these charges in the contract when you signed up? They can't just pull charges out of thin air.

Which provider is this? Is it a business contract? I'm not aware of any home broadband suppliers in the UK charging a deposit like this for the modem. I know it's a common thing in America, but I've never come across it in the UK. Most ADSL providers just send you one for free and wash their hands of it after 12 months (though that's another bit of dodginess altogether). Virgin Media do sort of lease you the equipment in that you return it at the end of your contract but they maintain it for the duration of the contact, but I've never heard of them taking a deposit for this.