Returning to England after 11 years.. with debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening to all..

I was a student in a England University, where I graduated in 6/2003.

After graduation, went to my home country in E.U. and never returned to UK..

While in England, I had some credit card outstanding balances (approx. 1,000 each, if I remember)

and the 'student bank account overdraft', (about 1,500) -prices in GBP..

At that time I was broke, really..

My uni mates told me, that since those where small amounts, there was no need to worry..

But, what if the c/c and the bank, have pursued the cases, and have gone as far as to a civil court?

If there was a hearing, and with my absence a outcome produced,

wouldnt there be a 'arrest warrant' for non-paying the debt, or not showing up in the court?

Those are assumptions, but I want to make sure of what might happen.

I want to travel to London next week, for visiting friends..

Is there the risk, of being arrested in the London airport,

under a 'arrest warrant' for debts and non-showing up to the court? I dont know if there was action against me from the bank or the c/c issuers,

but I presume there might have been something

.. I have a new passport now -the old one has expired long time ago-

but I dont know, do they use the d.o.b. and names in the airport check-in,

to identify possible persons with debts? It is 11 years since I have left England,

I like the country very much, but I am concerned now to visit again..

Any help greatly appreciated..

Debt is a civil matter not criminal so there wouldn't be an arrest. There is no requirement to attend court either. If you haven't acknowledged any of the debts in the last 6 years they will be statute barred so you wouldn't have to pay them.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

thank you caro ..!!

I am not even sure if the has been a court case against me, because since I left UK,

never had any letters to my adress in Greece (the bank had my address, as the University).

. I presume, they took some legal action, a court has been carried out (maybe 2 or 3 for the different c/c and overdraft balance)

, but again, I have no info or data about that

.. I know that the debt is stature barred after 6 years,

but what about the COURT charges for non-showing up in the court?

Wont they issue an 'arrest warrant' for the person who didnt show up to the court hearing?

(actually, I am not aware of any court, but just in case they had sent letter to my UK address, asking me to show up in the court

.. which I didnt, because I am in Greece, and not informed about anything about it..)

I appreciate if you could inform me..

You don't have much to worry about really. Claimant creditors don't often make an application to request a court to order a debtor to attend a court for questioning. Where it does happen, generally the creditor is aware of where the debtor is living. It might also be the case, that these debts were never looked at by a court. The banks you had these debts with would have sold them on to debt collectors many years ago and they have probably been passed around many different debt collection firms. Eventually if they don't think they will ever obtain payment, they do get written off.

If you have any UK student tuition fees owing or any UK government debts they will be chased, but again no arrests for this. Just a letter if you register at a UK address.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

forget them.

you'll have no issues after all this time

ok you 'might' have a CCJ

but it'll soon become apparent when you register on voters

as some fleecing DCA will send you a few letters

pers i'd be ignoring the lot of 'em IF you ever get any thing

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I dont have any debt towards Inland Revenue, University tuitios fees, local taxes and soever..

My debts are solely on c/c and overdraft bills, not exceeeding 3,000 - 3,500 in total..

I am not even sure, if I havent paid the c/c.. maybe paid them, but examine the scenario of court action..

What scares me, if the court, could have issued an arrest warrant, in the case I hadnt shown up in a hypothetical hearing, and then have a warrant waiting for me at the airport..

you cannot get an arrest warrant for a civil debt

forget about them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you..

Now I feel less stressed..

Because, I am not a bulgar or ignorant.. but couldnt affort to pay off the credit card bills, plus had borrowed money to other students, which I never got them back...

And, I was left without any money at that time..

Back in Greece, it was hard as nightmare to keep on.. and only now, I have manged to save some money...

So, as you suggest, since there is no 'arrest warrant' against me, for no-showing up to the {possible} court for the debt, I am a bit relaxed now..