Reference from previous employer query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3679 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I was dismissed frm my 5 weeks old job in probation - the real reason was i questioned company's process fo charging interest to their customers and that wasnt really taken well by management

few days later i was told i havent been performing up to probabtion standards hence i m dismissed !!

now i have to put them as my employer on new application forms i m filling in for another job

the issue is if th prospective employer asks for reference what would this company (who dismissed me) say ?

i have an email frm the peoples head of this old company where he said i do not need to tell any prospective employer about my dismissal as they are sensitive to my future employment - this email came to me via my union rep

so now the question is

on the back of this email - would this company not provide actual reason for my contract end?

or if they tell them i was dismissed would they have to back it up with any evidence of unsatisfactory performance?

what should i do now

i have been offered a job subject to references !!! please help i cannot handle any more anxiety attacks

regards

i cannot handle any more anxiety attacks

regards

Then don't panic

yes sorry, easier said than done but look at it this way, they can put forward a variety of reasons, many technically you could not challenge, although it should be factual the amount of different reasons cited (they did not show commitment to the company, they were insubordinate, they were actively challenge the polices after 5 weeks, we had issues with their capability to follow company policy) all technically correct

they may even also not even bother to give anything or just say they worked here from x date to y date.

All of this is out of your hands or control, for me i'd be saying "the reason is that i questioned company's process fo charging interestlink3.gif to their customers and that wasn't really taken well by management, a few days later i was finished"

Look at these words neutrally you either are argumentative and insubordinate or the company was a bunch of shysters ripping people off who are only interested in employees without any morals. Everybody knows they are out there so it is a valid point to make.

There are still many employers out there who understand morality so your job is to explain to the new employer that the old ones were clearly unethical, hopefully the new employer has some ethics and then will accept the reference for what it is.

None of this you can change it's out of your circle of influence/control, if you get the opportunity the olny thing you can do is get this point over to the new employer and hope they are decent employers.

Then don't panic

yes sorry, easier said than done but look at it this way, they can put forward a variety of reasons, many technically you could not challenge, although it should be factual the amount of different reasons cited (they did not show commitment to the company, they were insubordinate, they were actively challenge the polices after 5 weeks, we had issues with their capability to follow company policy) all technically correct

they may even also not even bother to give anything or just say they worked here from x date to y date.

All of this is out of your hands or control, for me i'd be saying "the reason is that i questioned company's process fo charging interestlink3.gif to their customers and that wasn't really taken well by management, a few days later i was finished"

Look at these words neutrally you either are argumentative and insubordinate or the company was a bunch of shysters ripping people off who are only interested in employees without any morals. Everybody knows they are out there so it is a valid point to make.

There are still many employers out there who understand morality so your job is to explain to the new employer that the old ones were clearly unethical, hopefully the new employer has some ethics and then will accept the reference for what it is.

None of this you can change it's out of your circle of influence/control, if you get the opportunity the olny thing you can do is get this point over to the new employer and hope they are decent employers.

Yeah I understand. The funnier part is they never mentioned any of this on my termination letter, it just said - u r not up to marks with probation standard hence we are dismissing u. !?!

I understand its not in my hands mostly now but they agreed not to mention dismissal in any interview I have - my union rep got this to mW in email, I still can't trust them even though I have got this in writing

Let's try n see it from this way, based on this email thy shpuld not mention dismissal on my reference but if they do, can I sue them or bring a legal charge against them

Thanks

You have several options here, you could put them on your CV and own up to what happened, put them on your CV as temp/contract and not use them as a reference (this was what a recruitment agent suggested to a friend of mine who had a similar issue, I have not done this myself) or leave them out completely.

If your ex-company is anything like mine however, they will only reference you with the dates you worked for them and the job title. Can you contact any of your past co-workers (if you got on well) and ask them what the company policy is on referencing?

You have several options here, you could put them on your CV and own up to what happened, put them on your CV as temp/contract and not use them as a reference (this was what a recruitment agent suggested to a friend of mine who had a similar issue, I have not done this myself) or leave them out completely.

If your ex-company is anything like mine however, they will only reference you with the dates you worked for them and the job title. Can you contact any of your past co-workers (if you got on well) and ask them what the company policy is on referencing?

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I put them on my CV is tat I work in financial services n the checks are thorough, I wasn't sure if p45 would show them on my records plus if it got known at later stage I might be done for gross misconduct. So I thought to be honest.

Then I involved the union in the matter as it was a big shock to my crisp career history that I was dismissed on 5 weeks worth of job, the union rep spoke to this company n got me an email saying that dismissal won't show on "standard reference" but I m not really sure what to expect from this company who decided in 5 weeks of employment that they did a mistaje in interview n hired a wrong person.

Don't know should I trust them re what they are saying in email to union rep

I just want some peace