HMRC Consultation...to seek approval to "raid" debtors bank accounts to recover debts over £1,000 !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They can't do that, as it would be against EU law. Under EU law the government has to offer a minimum level of income to provide for basic living costs, so that people can afford to eat and pay for other basics. If they started to dip into peoples bank accounts without working out whether the person could afford to meet basic living costs, I believe the government would be in breach of human rights. So there would have to some assessment carried out to avoid the government being liable

That'll be a good reason to vote to stay in Europe then !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That'll be a good reason to vote to stay in Europe then !

I would vote to stay in the EU. I don't trust politicians who don't like being accountable to the ECHR for example. While the EU does apply some silly rules, the UK gold plates them, while other countries seem to be more relaxed. It is only within the last year that Spain has introduced energy rating certs, when the UK went ahead almost immediately and even wanted Home Buyers packs, which have since been removed. Some Politicians and the media don't talk about sensible policies issued by the EU. I would presume there are some, which might include vehicle safety measures, consumer rights on products/services etc.

If the EU does not function properly, then they should reform it. Leaving the EU, could mean that former UK residents living within the EU, who can presently access local healthcare, won't be able to. We can do without thousands of extra mainly older people coming back to the UK. Some are already coming back and more will have to.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I presume we all welcome the day when enforcement companies no longer need to send out bailiffs and just just debit the sums owed from peoples bank accounts....

At least the fees should be lower.... :wink:

I presume we all welcome the day when enforcement companies no longer need to send out bailiffs and just just debit the sums owed from peoples bank accounts....

At least the fees should be lower.... :wink:

You might be one of the people. icon10.png Late with a tax return and you get auto debited an amount.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I have just been listening to the BBC news and it would seem that following release of the Consultation Paper many MP's have had a "lightbulb moment" and are seriously concerned at these proposals.

The following article from the Daily Mail raises even more worrying clauses within the Consultation:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2623810/Taxman-raid-joint-accounts-Wife-lose-cash-husband-whos-arrears-new-proposals.html

Britain is being robbed of £35 billion a year by cheats who don’t pay their taxes and others who find ways of avoiding paying them, according to HMRC

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2623810/Taxman-raid-joint-accounts-Wife-lose-cash-husband-whos-arrears-new-proposals.html#ixzz31CtYr2Lf

And most of these will be big business and already seriously wealthy people ... or MPs !!

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I did hear you had to have over £6,000 in your account which would rule out many people being targeted.

Great news....that means that I will be excluded.....

And most of these will be big business and already seriously wealthy people ... or MPs !!

I regularly read of councillors who had not paid council tax and have liability orders against them. If they don't pay their tax, how can they vote for their council taking harsh enforcement measure against fellow residents. There was a Tory Cornwall councillor who was shamed by a local paper and I think they had to resign. If you google councillor with unpaid council tax, you will see loads of results of reports from all over the country.

As it usual with all tax collection, government will always go after easy targets and look after their own. This has always been the same. Go back hundreds of years and you will have the Kings tax collectors going out to ransack the villagers houses, while leaving the local Lord of the Manor in his castle alone.

Knowing the propensity for HMRC to mess up badly, and target the wrong people, I can see an innocent whose account varies by one digit acccidentally having the account cleared due to a typing error and them put into overdraft as they never have £5K in ever, or the threshold for taking money lowered to at least £1000, It will be the normal person in the street on PAYE or Tax credits/Universal Credit who will be the target of this not the corporations.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Will large businesses allow HMRC to have access to their bank accounts, just in case they have not collected enough tax ? I can't see Tesco, Vodafone or Starbucks allowing this.

Will large businesses allow HMRC to have access to their bank accounts, just in case they have not collected enough tax ? I can't see Tesco, Vodafone or Starbucks allowing this.

They will not be able to stop them unless it is a bank say in the USA or Cayman Islands

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

s187 of the SSA 1992 come to mind

Quote from here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/5/section/187/enacted

s187 Certain benefit to be inalienable

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on—

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of a beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

(2)In the application of subsection (1) above to Scotland—

(a)the reference to assignment of benefit shall be read as a reference to assignation, “assign” being construed accordingly;

(b)the reference to a beneficiary’s bankruptcy shall be read as a reference to the sequestration of his estate or the appointment on his estate of a judicial factor under section 41 of the [1980 c. 46.] Solicitors (Scotland) Act 1980.

(3)In calculating for the purposes of section 5 of the [1869 c. 62.] Debtors Act 1869 or section 4 of the [1882 c. 42.] Civil Imprisonment (Scotland) Act 1882 the means of any beneficiary, no account shall be taken of any increase of disablement benefit in respect of a child or of industrial death benefit.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Can't believe that David Cameron defended this policy and said if it was not introduced taxes would have to go up.

A chance for Clegg and Miliband to score on this one.

Could you imagine what most Americans would say if they had the government accessing their bank accounts ?

If people owe tax then take them to court, get a liability order and allow bailiffs to force entry to recover money or goods. Providing there is a proper system for this, with a hearing and notifications, this would be better than raiding accounts. If you knew the taxman was likely to take money from your account, you would withdraw enough so they couldn't.

Can't believe that David Cameron defended this policy and said if it was not introduced taxes would have to go up.

A chance for Clegg and Miliband to score on this one.

Could you imagine what most Americans would say if they had the government accessing their bank accounts ?

If people owe tax then take them to court, get a liability order and allow bailiffs to force entry to recover money or goods. Providing there is a proper system for this, with a hearing and notifications, this would be better than raiding accounts. If you knew the taxman was likely to take money from your account, you would withdraw enough so they couldn't.

Apparently in California they already do, but Miliband, Clegg, Cameron and the others are all a crock of wombat doos, none of them are worth a tap.