Moorcroft debt Recovery..an studio debt . advice please

jon157uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3699 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, I'm looking for a little advice please,

A few months ago now, probably late summer last year,

my ex-partner opened an account with some kind of online store called ' Studio',

she opened this account using my name,

my email address and

my debit card,

I assume this must have taken place while I was out working or something because

the first thing I knew about it was when I received a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd.

Well, that's not strictly true,

I had received an invoice from 'Studio' but at the time I hadn't got a clue what it was all about

and assumed then addressed it wrongly,

after contacting Moorcroft I soon discovered what had happened and

they were trying to recover money outstanding for some kind of talking teddy bear that had been bought,

it took awhile for all this to sink in as I couldn't understand at first why they would think a man of 56 years old

and no children would want a 'talking teddy bear'.

I came off the phone convinced that Moorcroft had lost the plot,

that was until I mentioned this to my ex-partner the next time we spoke.

She then admitted that she had opened the account and forgotten all about telling me

(we were still living together at the time the account set up happened).

Shortly after this I contacted Studio and as a gesture of good will offered to pay for the toy,

they refused and said I would have to deal through Moorcroft now as the account had been passed on to them.

I contacted Moorcroft, explained exactly what had gone on and offered to pay for the toy,

they wanted me to pay something like £153 for a toy that was £63 when ordered.

I asked how on earth they got that figure and they said it was interest, plus they're fees,

I told them that in that case they had better contact the person who actually ordered the damn toy

as I was not prepared to pay that amount.

I have since had numerous letters and phone calls from Moorcroft demanding this outstanding debt,

I have spoken with my ex-partner and advised her to get in touch with someone over this matter,

she said she would, it appears that she hasn't.

I've had no contact with her since around February and she is no longer at the address where she was

so I'm unable to discuss this any further with her at the moment.

In the mean time Moorcroft are still trying to claim I owe the debt and I'm still refusing to pay.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but I'm trying to give as clear a picture as I can.

If anyone has any ideas or advice I'd be very grateful to hear them/it.

Thanks... Jon T

welcome aboard

1st STAY OFF THAT PHONE!!

moorcrap are a DCA

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

theres no reason why you cant pay studio directly.

there no legal remit for anyone to add any PENALTY or collection charges

so don't pay those.

if you know what you owe without the charges etc

use your internet banking webportal and pay studio

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Here's how it works.

Studio let the account go for a few weeks/months, adding £12 (or more) in penalty 'late payment' fees multiple times so that the value of the account goes up, especially when interest is added. They then default the account, and it is written off against tax as a bad debt.

A lowlife DCA like Moorcroft buys the debt for a fraction of the value it was defaulted at (sometimes as low as 10%) and the rights are assigned to them to collect the full amount owing. Studio are happy and Moorcroft stand to make a healthy profit on the deal.

Alternatively they may simply be collecting on behalf of Studio in which case there is definitely no reason why you can't pay them directly.

Tell Studio IN WRITING that the account was opened in your name and without their knowledge and whilst you believe you know who was responsible you will not at this time be making it a police matter. They will get £63 and ONLY £63 being what they are actually out of pocket. They may give this to Moorcroft if they wish, but no further payment will be forthcoming to either of them.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks to both of you guys for the response,

Sidewinder, that is pretty much the stage we are at now. The last time I spoke with Moorcroft I made it quite clear to them that I refuse to accept responsibility for the outstanding account and that I had only offered to pay for the toy as a gesture. I've heard nothing from either party for about a month to five weeks until a letter arrived today, they are still asking for full payment.

dx100uk :- I did contact Studio initially and offered to pay for the toy and close the account, they refused payment. I then emailed them explaining in full detail how this debt had ended up in my name and again offered to pay for the toy. I got no response from the email what so ever.

Thanks guys... Jon T.

Well, Moorcr@p can be ignored, the reason it has gone to them is that they were foolish enough to take the lemon on in the first place.

If Studio don't want your money, then case closed.

As already mentioned STAY OFF the phone, if anyone rings regarding this in the future just laugh and hang up.

Keep everything in writing.

Check your credit files aswell, see what dirty paw prints have been added.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!