Am I really better of staying unemployed? (SCOTLAND)

kosebamse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm not in employment and claim JSA + Housing Benefit, although have been offered a 15h/week part-time job. The thing is, the job would pay ca. £520/month. The calculations say I would not be entitled to any benefits if I take this job. Even worse, possibly Council Tax would kick in (or not?). All in all, paradoxically, taking the job would make me worse off by some £50-£100. I barely make ends meet now - on the job I will not even be able to pay up all the bills! Is it really the case the the government is happy enough to let the citizens get by making £520 or am I missing something in those calcuations and/or lack some information?

The othe question, a bit unrelated. Is it possible to be fully exempted from water sewage and waste bill? I'm exempted from Council Ttax but need to pay reduced water sewage and waste, according to the Counil,

Thanks for reading,

k.

For an income of £520 per month, you might well be entitled to Council Tax Reduction and some Housing Benefit if you rent your home.

Regarding the second question, it sounds like you might be in Scotland. Is that the case?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks for reply, Antone.

Yes, I live in Scotland. I do rent from a LL (I'm a joint tenant, the other person is a full-time student). I ran some online calculators and they show I'm not entitled to any benefits with this monthly pay rate. Should I go to the Council office and inquire? Will they be able to give me accurate numbers?

Yes, I'd enquire direct with the council. I'm not an expert in HB/CTR but £520 per month seems very low for you to be entitled to nothing at all. Additionally, if the only other person in your house is a full time student, you might possibly be entitled to some sort of rebate on Council Tax.

Regarding the water part of your Council Tax bill, there isn't any way to get this reduced, sadly. Basically, that's because people in England receive a separate water bill and don't get any benefit to cover that, so in Scotland (where we don't receive water bills) CTR cannot cover that portion of Council Tax.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Regarding the water part of your Council Tax bill, there isn't any way to get this reduced, sadly. Basically, that's because people in England receive a separate water bill and don't get any benefit to cover that, so in Scotland (where we don't receive water bills) CTR cannot cover that portion of Council Tax.

South of the border, if surface water goes to a soakaway and not in to the public sewer, we can claim a small rebate.

Surface water is rainfall on your roof, drive way, and other hard surfaces - As long as this does not run in to a sewer or on to the road, you should be able to claim the charge back - For Scotland, I think it is around £60 per year depending on property type/size.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Am I right in saying that even with a part time job you are still in the clutches of DWP and have to look for more hours/full time employment?

Not yet, generally. That is the proposal with Univeral Credit, though.

South of the border, if surface water goes to a soakaway and not in to the public sewer, we can claim a small rebate.

Surface water is rainfall on your roof, drive way, and other hard surfaces - As long as this does not run in to a sewer or on to the road, you should be able to claim the charge back - For Scotland, I think it is around £60 per year depending on property type/size.

I did not know that, thanks.