style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3762 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI all after advice again,

I have been with my current landlord for 2yrs,it's a property management company, we have outgrown the house were currently in and viewed a property with our current landlord which at the time deemed like the one to move to, We put a holding deposit down of £250 + we paid one months rent and the deposit..in total we paid £1210.

The day after for personal reasons we decided no it was not the house so we advised the landlord we were pulling out, we lost the £250 but the landlord charged another £60 for a tenancy agreement which in my eyes we would not of had until we moved in....is this correct? can he charge for a tenancy that we never took on? We got back £900.

Plus our deposit came back from the deposit scheme(to the property management company) because as far as we all knew we were moving, now the landlord is saying the money goes back to the deposit scheme(which is fine) however there saying(property management company) if we find another property say in a weeks time and hand our notice in we cannot put into the deposit scheme to withdraw the deposit for 45 working days from when they last sent it...again is this true?

many thanks.

Did they provide any contractual paperwork, list of charges, etc. prior to you putting down money?

Certainly £60 for an unexecuted (and probably un-printed) contract is excessive. They may be able to justify admin charges, but these would be pennies given what you have said.

The only paperwork we were given was what we had paid in total with a breakdown of the costs etc, Showing an outstanding balance of nil, There was nothing to say along with losing the £250 if we pulled out you would get charged an additional £60 on top for a tenancy agreement.

I thought the £250 was there to cover(although still steep for what they will do seeing as were exisiting tenants) the property management for any costs incurred upto the date of moving in and signing the tenancy agreement?

Does anybody know if the 45 day rule I have been advised from the property management company reference calling the deposit back from the deposit scheme if we find another house is true.

"The only paperwork we were given was what we had paid in total with a breakdown of the costs etc, Showing an outstanding balance of nil,"

What was in the "breakdown of costs"? Was there anything in this breakdown that they did not do because you pulled out so quickly?

For the deposit issue, I suggest you check which deposit scheme is being used and look at their website. The company should have provided you with information about the scheme.