DW Gym membership cancellation

jlwaiting
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3757 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm having an issue cancelling my DW gym membership early.

I joined about a month ago. When I signed up my partner was job-hunting out of the area, so I knew there was a chance we might need to relocate to London. When I joined I checked and the staff there confirmed that although it's a 14 month contract with a 6 month break clause, there is an exception if you relocate to a place where there is no DW gym within 10 miles. There are no DW gyms in London. I checked this out in the contract before I signed it, and it was there.

So, my partner got a job and we need to move to London in a month. I went into the gym and explained this and asked to cancel my membership. The woman I spoke to said it was 'her understanding' that regardless of the circumstances, I cannot cancel within the first 6 months, but to bring in my tenancy agreement and she'd check it out.

The next day, I brought this in and spoke to the club manager. She also said I had to stay for 6 months, and kept going to speak to her manager on the phone to check. We went over and over the contract, and I am certain that it says I can leave at any time under circumstances such as relocation, but she refused to agree and they seem to have their own spin on it.

The wording is as follows:

You may cancel your membership:

1. by giving us at least one calendar month’s notice to cancel your membership to take effect at the end of a calendar month. During the first 14 month membership period the cancellation of your membership cannot take effect earlier than the end of the 6th month; or the 12th month for Home Club Memberships. For Membership Renewal Periods (which are not applicable to Home Club Memberships), cancellation can take effect at any time by providing at least one calendar month’s notice as stated above, even during the first 6 months of that Membership Renewal Period;

2. by providing notice of cancellation at any time if one or more of the following applies (a “change in circumstance”):

- you are unable to use DW Sports Fitness clubs because of a genuine and serious injury or illness which results in you being unable to use DW Sports Fitness clubs for at least two months, and this is evidenced by reasonable supporting evidence, such as a Doctor’s note; or

- you are made redundant or otherwise lose your job and provide us with reasonable supporting evidence, such as a letter from your employer or proof of entitlement to Jobseeker’s Allowance; or

- you move house or your principal place of employment is changed and your new home and new principal place of employment are located more than 10 miles from a DW Sports Fitness club which you are entitled to use,

The general manager is going to call me back after they've 'investigated' who informed me, but I am pretty sure I know what the outcome will be. I cannot afford to pay another 4 months membership when I am moving to London, but if they do not accept the wording of the contract I don't know what to do.

Apologies for how long this is, but I'd really appreciate any advice!

Many thanks,

Jen

Hi JLW and welcome to CAG

I suggest that any requirement that you remain a member and pay for the first 6 months, regardless of a significant change of circumstances, is unfair to you as a consumer.

Unless the manager confirms that you can cancel, giving just one month's notice and paying for the final month, you need to confirm your cancellation in writing. Also state that you will not pay any more than the one month notice that is resonable, given the circumstance of your relocation.

Keep us posted.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)