Tenancy Deposit: How long does a landlord have to decide?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies is this belongs elsewhere, but I can't seem to find the information I need.

Effectively my question is "How long does a landlord have to decide whether they will be returning all/some/none of a tenant's deposit?".

We moved out on the 31/1. I understand that once you agree with your landlord about the amound of deposit to be returned, they have ten days to do so, but how long can they take to make that decision?

The management agency did the inventory report about 10 days after our tenancy ended and we moved out (which seemed a little late?), and the report showed nothing other than wear and tear. It's now 18 days since we moved out and the landlord hasn't given the agency an answer regarding whether or not they want to release the deposit.

Are there any guidelines or laws concerning this?

If your deposit was protected in an Approved scheme, then put in dispute wi the scheme and request ADR, Uncontested deposit should be returned within 10 working days.

If not protected, you will have to apply to Court for return of full deposit. ~3-4 months after sending LL a LBA.

In both cases, onus is on LL to justify proposed deductions.

• 2 weeks later...

im in a very very similar position and have just posted on the boards to the same effect - we moved out and had an inventory done on the 10th of feb exactly like you with no issues raised in the report, landlord 10 days after checking out and receiving the report) finally visited the property and decided it wasn't cleaned to a professional level in their mind (despite being cleared in the report) and has since pretty much done nothing about it, no details of what the issue are, how much they want to fix these 'issues' / get cleaners in etc etc.

Our deposit is also in a scheme (just wish i still had that paperwork now as it was 3 yrs ago), and 22 days later we still have heard nothing.. I will do as your earlier replies have recommended and depending where it gets me update you.