British Gas and over estimated final bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have been fighting a long running battle with British gas since last year. To cut a long story short this is the series of events leading up to now.

1. I moved into a property in Jan 2013 and a meter reading was given by the landlord to British Gas

2. British Gas send me an estimated bill between Jan and March of 2940.00 kwh. I know this this is stupidly high as I lived in a modern studio flat on my own and the electric heating was out of action for this time (the flat was warm with out it anyway)

3. I queried this bill and explained I lived in a massive block of flats and I have no access to the meter so could they send someone, British gas said they would send someone round. They didn't. I carried on trying to request a meter reading every other week until the next bill came.

4. The next bill came where they estimated 2245 kwh an hour for the time between March and July, I carried on requesting a meter reading (this time in writing), British Gas said they would sort it out, they didn't.

5. I moved out on the 16th of August and they sent me a final bill for 13 days that was 319 kwh which was also an estimate!

So now they have sent a debt collector after me and even though I know the landlord has sent them a final reading for me they refuse to produce me a final bill that isn't an estimate. I am not sure what I can do to force British Gas to re-evaluate my account?

Thanks

Webmonkie

Sounds like you were paying not just for your electricity but also for the rest of the property - how could you use 319KWh in 13 days that works at 24KWh per day - i.e. you would need a 1Kw electric fire turned on 24 hours per day - in the middle of summer!