Advice regarding ERC Claim

CheeseOnToast
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am looking to pursue Birmingham Midshires for an ERC approx £2800.

It was fixed rate for 2 years, I bailed around 8/9 months before the end of the second year and was thus charged 2% of loan amount.

My concern is that my mortgage was interest only, so the £300 a month I was paying would of come somewhere in the region of £2500 etc if I had paid til the end of the second term.

Does this mean interest only mortgages won't really work this with this type of action?

Please advise as this would be excellent news for us to pay off our remaining date.

UPDATE -

Claim submitted, HSBC have until May 13th to Acknowledge.

Hi Cheese on toast

If there is a penalty involved when closing then claim it. Same rules apply.

Ukaviator

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

My concern is that the amount of interested lost in that period I should of been tied in would roughly be equal to the penalty I was charged.. which would make it proportionate.. so would that be legal?

UPDATE -

No, wouldnt make it legal

Its either a liquidated damages claues (ie. a genuine estimate of their costs caused by your breach)

Or its a penalty

They may have not received income because you redeemed, but thats not the cost they incurred due to you redeeming - they have no right to that income under UK contract law if you breach, they can only recover the costs caused by your breach

If you had redeemed one day into the contract, what would they have charged you? If you redeemed one day before the end of the contract, what would they have charged you?

If the answer to this is 2% each time, then how can it the charge possibly be a pre-estimate of their costs caused by you redeeming?

All advice is offered in good faith based on my own research and understanding of the laws involved, however I'm not a lawyer!

Please dont rely on annoymous advice posted on a public forum without checking it out for yourself first!

It was 3% year one and 2% year two so yeah it was bollocks.

Thanks for clearing up re the liquidation damages clause, I hadn't read about that yet which is where I found the grey area.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond guys, much appreciated, I will keep you posted accordingly.

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE -

Hi Cheesie,

Also worthy of note that they are under a duty to mitigate their loss. They would relend the money elsewhere on your redemption. They are not going to sit and hold on to the money until your tie in period finishes. Therefore they are not going to suffer a loss of that interest. Its their losses which count not yours.

All the best

Zoot