Used car broken down in less than 100 miles of buying

boxingliz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi thanks for reading my post.

My daughter wrote her car off in an accident, we were looking for a used car for her to use a couple of weeks later and went to our friendly garage to ask the guys who in the area sold reasonable cars and they told us that one of the guys was selling a car, they called him back to the garage to talk to us in the meantime we looked at the car. We were told the timing chain had been replaced and the car serviced we asked what else was wrong and if anything needed fixing. we were told it was a good car and picked the car up a week later when the funds came through. it was used for a couple of days going to work no more than 10 miles a day then on the thurs the car was taken on a 75 mile trip to a hotel at 60 miles the car lost power and cut out. we spoke to the guy at the garage and said we want it fixed or our money back, he agreed to repair it. The car was removed from the garage to another garage as this was a commercial premises where they were employed and suposibly work commenced after a couple of weeks and constant chasing and visiting trying to get the car back. We were informed after work started that the work was being done by one of the other guys and they were selling the car together. I got a phone call today to say car is now fixed and this other guy wants nearly £400 for parts. I explained that this was the first real run with the car and it was their fault if had damaged the head but this guy said if we dont pay we cant have the car back. I stated that as far as i was concerned the car was sold by the other guy as he was the one we spoke to and who showed the car and took the money and i would deal with him and he said no money no car and put the phone down.

what can I do, my daughter is a single mum took a loan out for this car and cant afford the £400 as she hasent got it. When car was collected the guy who sold the car said anything goes wrong just bring it back and I will sort it out. Where do we stand. I would be grateful for any advice given. Thanks

Edited by boxingliz

He has also moved the car from where we had it delivered to and has driven it also? Stealing, driving without the owners consent. at no time would he inform us of what he was doing neither did he discuss the cost of repairs or ask if we would pay for repairs. So we are very shocked about this. Not sure where the garage stands either because if was sold on their premises and returned to their and they accepted the keys and vehicle when it broke down. What a mess, why cant ppl be straight forward.

Few questions;

When it broke down at "60 miles", where was it taken to... was it recovered to a nearby garage? If so, how did it get back to the seller?

Also, how much did you pay for it and when exactly did you buy it?

Finally whats the make/model/age/mileage?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Go to the police, demanding money with menace.

What? How so?? :|

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I would like to thank you all for your responses, I have now resolved the issue by talking to another of the parties involved and although some of the people involved may not be too happy about it we have come to an agreement and the car should be back tomorrow. Sometimes you have to point a few things out to get some sense into a situation. I am glad there are a few decent level headed people left in the world and lots of people willing to share good advice, again thank you for reading the post and taking an interest and sharing your advice.