Help with getting payment of wages from difficult employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anybody advise me as to what to do?

I found a job advertisement on the 'jobsearch' website, and sent off my CV to which I was asked to attend an interview. During the interview I was at no point advised that the position was one of self employment or that I would have to supply the business with a self employment number and invoice for my wages.

I was told I would be paid straight into my bank account on a weekly basis and never advised that I would have to do anything in order to receive my wages.

However a month passed and I didn't receive payment, I was told various excuses on different occasions and even advised that payment had been made when in fact it hadn't.

When I said I would be taking the matter further in order to receive payment I was advised that I can not legally be paid without a self employment number and that "I was being given a favour by not doing this previously" when I had never previously been advised of this.

I have sent a letter to the company advising that they have committed an act of 100% deduction of wages but have not heard back. I received a text this evening saying that payment would not be made until they receive an invoice and my self employment number.

What do you advise I do? As I am unsure where I stand legally for the money I am owed.

Sounds like one of those cons that are all over the jobsearch site atm. That site seems to be full of them, and leaflet distribution jobs. Not to mention the " New opportunities available! please call this number for more info". What amazes me is NONE of these are checked. it seems as if its a fully automated system now.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

No need for a self-employment number. If they want an invoice, then send them one suitably broken down for the hours worked and then speak to HMRC to arrange how to pay the tax and NI that should have been deducted.

Then contact Jobsearch and complain about the misleading advert and dubious nature of jobs that they are advertising

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I think they may be referring to your UTN (Unique tax number) I know if it's work in the construction industry, then you would need to provide this number in order for them to get you verified by the tax office to find out what rate of tax to deduct from you, basic rate if your up to date with tax returns, higher if not. This should have been done before you started though!

Not sure if a UTN is issued in all areas of self employment if just construction.