Eligibility Conditions for JSA?

fran1phil
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3833 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Very quickly, wanted to check out a situation - which relates to a 24 yo, in part time college (15.5 hours). This had been accepted by JCP approx 4 - 6 weeks ago and payments in progress.

However, whilst signing on last - has been told in order to comply with JS rules - they must apply for 14 jobs a week. Also a requirement to attend a 'work programme/job club' (as designated by JCP) once a week, in order to continue receiving payment of JSA.

In querying this, with the JCP personnel; re postion relating to College @ 15.5 hours per week and having child care duties, toward daughter at weekend. The response was, you have to be available for full time work, when claiming JCP.

Basically totally rigid in their expectations, but placing this young 24 yo male in an impossible position. This is causing much anxiety for young man, as he would struggle to find that number of jobs to apply for in any one week.

is

He does not have internet access at home, so would have to go out in search of such job opportunites. This will impact heavily on his ability to maintain his College placement, which he is struggling with some aspects around algebra etc.

Concerns around being targeted /set up for the ever increasing 'sanctioning' of benefits?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - how can he get the JCP to see what an impossible situation he is being placed in??

Many thanks - NADIA:???:

There are situations when if on JSA, you don't have to be available for full time. Being a part time student isn't one of them. If you're a part time student, you would be expected to give up the course for work.

If there aren't 14 jobs out there to apply for, then he should tell them this. I was sometimes lucky if I found one job. I explained to my adviser that I'm only finding one or two jobs a week and was told that's fine; as long as I'm taking steps to find suitable employment.

Hi Nadia,

I have some experience of JSA claim and JCP signing on myself that may help.

Yes the eligibility for JSA is looking for full time work and they normally deem this as 40 hrs. So the claimant needs to be available for 40 hours BUT at anytime across the 7 day week should they ever be offered that.

re applying for 14 jobs/wk stipulation. I think this may be a misunderstanding and may been misinterpreted as this is unrealistic. Your friend with have JSA agreement document that stipulates everything they must do, and failure to follow this may result in an adviser referring him to a decision maker for sanction. This is important document that will have some standard things yet should also be tailored to the individual and negotiated in parts between the individual.

The document will likely include three areas of the type of work the individual wants to find work in.

This document will state he has to 'actively seek work by doing at least __ things per week'. I think it is here maybe that is says 14 that you mention. In my case it was 15 things/activities NOT jobs. These things/activities can be anything e.g. 'searched retail jobs via UJM website' would count as at least one activity, searching 3 job websites would be 3 activities. Others include 'read emails from X job website', 'signed up for X job website', 'made amendments to CV', 'posted CV', 'wrote letter to X about volunteering opp' etc etc. These need to be recorded - all usually done on the DWP UJM website now.

On my JSA agreement I had to apply for 2-3 jobs per week and complete 15 things/activities.

Not having internet access at home is not going to wash with them. JCP will just say he has to use library 2-3 times week or college computers to job search and record his search.

If the JSA agreement is wrong/not suitable then I would raise it and get it amended with the adviser. There is usually two type of adviser - the one you see for 5 minutes to 'sign on' with and a personal adviser they will see 4 weekly for half an hour. The latter are usually best ones with the time to discuss and amend the agreement.

good luck

• Confused 1

Hi All,

Very quickly, wanted to check out a situation - which relates to a 24 yo, in part time college (15.5 hours). This had been accepted by JCP approx 4 - 6 weeks ago and payments in progress.

However, whilst signing on last - has been told in order to comply with JS rules - they must apply for 14 jobs a week. Also a requirement to attend a 'work programme/job club' (as designated by JCP) once a week, in order to continue receiving payment of JSA.

In querying this, with the JCP personnel; re postion relating to College @ 15.5 hours per week and having child care duties, toward daughter at weekend. The response was, you have to be available for full time work, when claiming JCP.

Basically totally rigid in their expectations, but placing this young 24 yo male in an impossible position. This is causing much anxiety for young man, as he would struggle to find that number of jobs to apply for in any one week.

is

He does not have internet access at home, so would have to go out in search of such job opportunites. This will impact heavily on his ability to maintain his College placement, which he is struggling with some aspects around algebra etc.

Concerns around being targeted /set up for the ever increasing 'sanctioning' of benefits?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - how can he get the JCP to see what an impossible situation he is being placed in??

Many thanks - NADIA:???:

For Reference http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?409515-ESA-claim-various-delays Especially post #14

And http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?403214-Esa-appeal-to-tribunal-failed Especially the links in post #2

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Childcare issues, if the child lives with the claimant then childcare responsibilities would be considered on the JSAg,, but if the child is not resident normally with the claimant then unless there is a court order to state the days of residence/contact then that won't be considered as a reason to restrict availability.

The College course can be considered as long as the claimant can show that there are reasonable prospects of obtaining full time work in the pattern around the course or the claimant would be willing to rearrange hours or give up the course to take up full time employment. If neither of these options is something the claimant is willing or able to do then there could a restricted availability decision to be referred to DMA and benefit entitlement could be at risk. Also the claimant will still be required to follow a reasonable JSAg which would still include internet access to be used throughout the benefit week, that could be using job clubs, the jobcentre internet access or the local library. If the claimant is not able to do this then again an availability doubt could be raised in addition to an actively seeking referral.