advance warning - bus only street

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi - ive heard that if a road is bus only there should be advance warning. What are the rules regarding this?

I was driving down corporation street in birmingham approaching an island with three exits. The first and third exits were bus only - and straight ahead was no entry

So corporation street is basically a dead end for cars - but there is no warning signs to indicate this in advance of the island. the only bus lane signs are those on the roads off of the island. Is this adeqate signage?

Spoke to someone at the council and they said corporation st is a pedestrian only zone anyway. Checked google streetview and there were signs up at the start of corporation street, but they are no longer there

Thanks for any help that is forhcoming

d

Google maps clearly shows bus's wagons and cars around that area. Has it changed since 2012?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Ignore that. GOogle maps says it was updated this year.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

hi - ive heard that if a road is bus only there should be advance warning. What are the rules regarding this?

I was driving down corporation street in birmingham approaching an island with three exits. The first and third exits were bus only - and straight ahead was no entrySo corporation street is basically a dead end for cars - but there is no warning signs to indicate this in advance of the island.

the only bus lane signs are those on the roads off of the island. Is this adeqate signage?

Spoke to someone at the council and they said corporation st is a pedestrian only zone anyway. Checked google streetview and there were signs up at the start of corporation street, but they are no longer there

Thanks for any help that is forhcoming

Street view could be out of date so it will difficult to give you a definitive answer unless you have up to date pic which you can post.

If the street is a pedestrian zone, it probably would not require advance signs as there should not be any traffic driving through there anyway. However, if normal traffic is permitted down there at certain times then yes, there should be advanced warning signs of an impending restriction before the junction (or in this case, traffic island) informing the driver of the restriction(s) to each exit after the island ahead plus showing the alternative route that the driver can take to escape the bus lane(s).

If there is no such advanced signage, it is highly likely that any PCN issued could be appealed on the grounds of inadequate signage warning of the contravention.

Do I take it that you have been issued with a PCN... if so, was it via CCTV enforcement?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

• Confused 1

You have created another thread on this which will cause confusion. I'll ask the site team to merge them.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Threads merged as requested. Please stick to one thread per subject.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Street view could be out of date so it will difficult to give you a definitive answer unless you have up to date pic which you can post.

If the street is a pedestrian zone, it probably would not require advance signs as there should not be any traffic driving through there anyway. However, if normal traffic is permitted down there at certain times then yes, there should be advanced warning signs of an impending restriction before the junction (or in this case, traffic island) informing the driver of the restriction(s) to each exit after the island ahead plus showing the alternative route that the driver can take to escape the bus lane(s).

If there is no such advanced signage, it is highly likely that any PCN issued could be appealed on the grounds of inadequate signage warning of the contravention.

Do I take it that you have been issued with a PCN... if so, was it via CCTV enforcement?

Please Note

Thanks sailer. That is good news. But if I may also ask where I would find that rule about advance warning signs. Ive looked at the Traffic signs manual chapter 3 page 141, which shows an image of a bus only warning sign but cant see anywhere that states thus sign is mandatory. Is the fact there is a diagram (ie bottom left pg 141) enough to indicate it is mandatory

Also when I appeal do I need to mention which section or subsection of any rule I think has not been adhered to. Or is it enough to just say I believe there are rules about advance warning signs that have been broken

Thanks again for your help

Yes was issued with pcn (well 2 pcns) on priory queensway in birmingham which has trapped about 11000 in eleven weeks

Not sure if it was cctv though. I assume it was as there is video footage of me driving on that road and the pcn contains 3 images.

Also when I appeal do I need to mention which section or subsection of any rule I think has not been adhered to. Or is it enough to just say I believe there are rules about advance warning signs that have been broken

The Traffic Signs manual has signs that must be used - which are mandatory, and signs that should be used and may be used - which are not mandatory.

There is no reference number, or mention in the text about the advance warning sign on page 141.

Only mention it in your appeal if you find a section or sub-section that makes it mandatory.

The Traffic Signs manual has signs that must be used - which are mandatory, and signs that should be used and may be used - which are not mandatory.

There is no reference number, or mention in the text about the advance warning sign on page 141.

Only mention it in your appeal if you find a section or sub-section that makes it mandatory.

Thanks ray. If that sign is not manditory i dont see how there will be any grounds on which to appeal

Appeal on other points or reasons you think are relevant, but don't mention that you believe that a rule has not been adhered to if you don't find one. If you did, and there isn't one, it may reduce your credibility for the other points of your appeal.

Edited by Raykay

Appeal on other points or reasons you think are relevant, but don't mention that you believe that a rule has not been adhered to if you don't find one. If you did, and there isn't one, it may reduce your credibility for the other points of your appeal.

Dont think the are any other points

This is from the introduction to the traffic signs manual

GENERAL

1.1 The Traffic Signs Manual is intended to give advice to traffic authorities and their agents on the correct use of signs and road markings. Mandatory requirements are set out in the current version of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions; nothing in the Manual can override these. The advice is given to assist authorities in the discharge of their duties under section 122 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and Part 2 of the Traffic Management Act 2004. Subject always to compliance with the Directions, which, except in Northern Ireland, are mandatory (see para 1.4), it is for traffic authorities to determine what signing is necessary to meet those duties,

The following seems to offer some hope though

although failure to follow the Manual's guidance without good reason might well lead to enforcement difficulties. In particular, adjudicators might consider such failure to be evidence that the signing was unclear. Traffic authorities should always remember that the purpose of regulatory signs is to ensure that drivers clearly understand what restrictions or prohibitions are in force.

There is a lot in the press about this new camera system which is apparently issuing over 800 PCNs a week and is supposed to be under challenge in reference to advance warning of the bus lanes. A google search about the bus lanes in this area should give more details.

There is a lot in the press about this new camera system which is apparently issuing over 800 PCNs a week and is supposed to be under challenge in reference to advance warning of the bus lanes. A google search about the bus lanes in this area should give more details.

Thanks. Yes I was aware massive amounts of people been caught out, but dont think this will make any difference to the appeal panel. There is also more than one route onto priory queesway and dont know if all the fuss is with regards to what route I took to get on there

When you say under challenge, do you mean challenge by individual drivers or a more organised group of people?

Edited by athisok

• 2 months later...