Part Time Discrimination?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have worked in a shop for nearly 2 years, I work 32 hours which is classed as a p/t contract, while the f/t work 40 hours. I do enjoy this job or I would have walked long ago.

I want to get promoted to supervisor level, as I undertake this role daily, and members of staff and other supervisors treat me as I am on the same level. They constantly stress they do not understand why I am not promoted as they admit they will come to me first if they have a problem they cannot sort out.

I'm feeling frustrated daily and under paid, and I'm trying to decide if I would be best if I should leave, or if I have any rights in my current work place.

In previous experiences I have been told by management that all supervisors are required full time but have had 2 part time supervisors employed. I have also noticed vacancies for the same job but different shop location offering part time supervisor roles and have met others on training, so they do exist!

Now do I have any rights? And is this a form of discrimination? I obviously don’t want to make this thread sound like I'm moaning, but I'm feeling fobbed off because I'm obviously doing this role, and I feel they won't give me any real answer on the matter.

I have mentioned I am willing to do overtime and flexible hours and that I only don’t work 40 hours every week as I use an extra day off to care for a family member.

I have looked up the prevention of less favourable treatment and discrimination regulations. And they give not much depth besides a part timer should not be treated any different to a full timer for promotional and training opportunities, so I'm stuck!

Anyone got any advice on what I should do next? I'm between looking for a new job or taking it to head office.

Thank you.

Edited by heykitty

How about instead of overreacting ( which you seem to be), you speak to the management and get your name and interest down, so if a role comes up, you will be first in line.

As for discrimination, how so? THey can add whatever terms they like to a position as long as it is not discriminatory in regards to national guidelines/regulation.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Do you want to work in the location you are in just now?

How many supervisors are required in your particular shop?

Can you work in a different location that does offer part-time supervisor positions?

Can only suggest approaching your management team again with a copy of current advertised vacancies and ask to be considered when the next suitable post becomes available.

There may be some reason why your shop requires a full time supervisor, and as you state the fact that there are 2 part time supervisors is an error due to previous management and cannot be changed.

Not much help...but just wanted you to know someone had a view regarding your post

Edited by trigarlaly9

renegadeimp You must understand I have done this, and there seems not to be a first in line system, no opportunity's are advertised for anyone but f/t, While I seem to be doing the role of a supervisor and not receiving anything because of a p/t contract. So surely this is not equal?

trigarlaly9 Thanks, I would love to be able to relocate, but this is not possible. I always ask to be considered for vacancies, but they are always f/t and people with less experience get taken on, and then I normally show them how to do everything :lol:

Edited by heykitty

this is actually indirect discrimination; more women than men work less hours; a no part timer managers rule discriminates against women.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

this is actually indirect discrimination; more women than men work less hours; a no part timer managers rule discriminates against women.

But it can be objectively justified by the company as a supervisory role inevitably needs to be full time (if a job share is unrealistic, which it would be in many managerial positions), so it's likely an indirect discrimination claim would fail.

But it can be objectively justified by the company as a supervisory role inevitably needs to be full time (if a job share is unrealistic, which it would be in many managerial positions), so it's likely an indirect discrimination claim would fail.

even if other branches have p/t supervisors? So can't be that much of a job need to be f/t

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

even if other branches have p/t supervisors? So can't be that much of a job need to be f/t

Depends on the exact circumstances!

Ultimately if the company can come up with a potentially justifiable business reason, it's unlikely to be challenged. Tribunals won't generally interfere with business reasoning, unless it's a sham.

Personally if I wanted the job, I wouldn't be bandying about discrimination allegations - I'd find a way to work full time. But it depends how badly the OP wants it!

Hello, no besides an error that has been made previously, there have been supervisor and management in store p/t, and those jobs are never advertised. I'm more concerned that I'm doing this role now, without the opportunity of promotion or pay increase.

Edited by heykitty

Playing devil's advocate: why would they promote you if you are already doing the job for a lower salary?

If you are not being paid to be a supervisor then I'm not sure you should be acting like you have supervisor responsibilities. If the business needs you to undertake that role then you should be promoted and paid accordingly.

A low-key approach to management would be appropriate. Otherwise, if you don't get anywhere, there is no shame in looking for a new job. Also nothing wrong with telling them you will have to start looking for a new job unless you get the promotion.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

That is how I think they feel too :lol:,

I've often thought about sticking to my employed contract roles, but I'm often put in the position with procedures such as banking where I am the only person capable of doing it.

I think a talk is going have to be appropriate, even if I have to go into higher management for a real answer.