• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

lose your home lose your kids

what is a home
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3742 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You have been in temporary accommodation for 10 years ?

Were you not put on the priority waiting list at the start of the 10 years ? If not you need to query why that never happened, and as you say the house is a council owned property I would have assumed that it was not "temporary accommodation" as it suited your needs at the time.

The length of time you are housed in temporary accommodation does not have a determined length of time but "You can live there until the council arranges settled accommodation for you or until you find a place you would prefer to live." That quote is from Shelter.

It appears as if the council has not made any effort to find you "settled accommodation" and therefore are in the wrong, you need to contact the council and question this and if the property you are in is council owned you need to be told why you have never been offered a tenancy.

In the mean time it would be well worth your while contacting Shelter's free housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444 (calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks).

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your arguement needs to be that the Council have not adhered to the Law on Housing Eligibility and not so much about your Human Rights. There are Rules and Regulations that apply to how, when and what housing is given and your Council have definitly not adhered to those rules, this bit alone appears to me to point out that they have not done what they are supposed to do :-

The main homelessness duty

11. Under the legislation, certain categories of household, such as families with children and households that include someone who is vulnerable, for example because of pregnancy, old age, or physical or mental disability, have a priority need for accommodation.

Housing authorities must ensure that suitable accommodation is available for people who have priority need, if they are eligible for assistance and unintentionally homeless

(certain categories of persons from abroad are ineligible.) This is known as the main homelessness duty. The housing authority can provide accommodation in their own stock

or arrange for it to be provided by another landlord, for example, a housing association or a landlord in the private rented sector.

12. If settled accommodation is not immediately available, accommodation must be made available in the short term until the applicant can find a settled home, or until some other

circumstance brings the duty to an end, for example, where the household voluntarily leaves the temporary accommodation provided by the housing authority. A settled home

to bring the homelessness duty to an end could include the offer of a suitable secure or introductory tenancy in a local authority’s housing stock (or nomination for a housing

association assured tenancy) allocated under Part 6 of the 1996 Act or the offer of a suitable tenancy from a private landlord made by arrangement with the local authority.13.

Under the Homelessness (Suitability of Accommodation) (England) Order 2003, housing authorities can no longer discharge a homelessness duty to secure suitable

accommodation by placing families with children, and households that include a pregnant woman, in Bed & Breakfast accommodation for longer than six weeks – and then only if more suitable accommodation is not available.

Much more about these Rules and Regulations can be found here :: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/7841/152056.pdf

I feel this route would be much more successful than Human Rights, many Councils do not adhere to Parking and Road Marking Regulations never mind Housing Regulations because the majority of the Council Staff do not know the Regulations as they usually only get basic training and/or are only given salient points to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

Why was my last post removed ?

If it was for decrying King12345's supercilious post then it is only fair that his post is also removed because this part of the forum is supposed to be to help people not kick them when they are down !!!!

What is a Home, do you have your Tenancy Agreement ? If so what exactly does it state as your type of Tenancy ?

When you have this information check out what responsibilities the Council have in relation to that type of Tenancy in the Housing Act 1985.

Here is a link to it :: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68/contents

Depending on which type of Tenancy the Council should have followed certain regulations so it may be worth checking those, because if you have been a good tenant and are not in arrears then the Council should have been offering you a Full Tenancy at some point and certainly should not be treating you as a completely new tenant, because you have been occupying one of their houses for 10 years ! That cannot just be dismissed !!

ALSO, have a look at this :: http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-legal-information/public-housing/introductory-tenancies.html

I am fairly certain this should have applied to you, and as these people appear to know a bit about it they may be worth contacting.

Edited by rds60h
The last section added

As Desperate Daniella says, How did you get on What is a Home ?

I don't know if you looked at my link on post #50 but the relevant part of it is this ::

Introductory Tenancies for new tenants

These were created by the Housing Act 1996. They are tenancies which can be granted by a local authority or housing action trust. However, the local authority must have "elected" to operate the introductory tenancy in it's district, in which case it will apply to all it's future lettings to new tenants.

The tenancy does not become "permanent" until 12 months after it starts. If at any time before this 12 month period ends the tenant misbehaves the local authority / housing action trust can get possession.

I have just checked my Tenancy Agreement and it states exactly this on it and as 1 year has just passed on mine today I intend to contact my local council and confirm that I am now a "Permanent Tenant". In fact I am about to have another full read through it, because I am sure I saw a sentence that stated "provide the house for life at the agreed rent" which would even put a different slant on the "bedroom tax".