me vs vodafone over 30 day rolling contract*RESOLVED*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone can provide some advice please.

About 3 years ago I upgraded to an iPhone contract with Vodafone. Happy with the contract and phone. On the way out of the shop after picking up the phone the sales assistant said "would you like a spare SIM for friends or family?" I was a bit dubious but took the SIM.

At no stage did I sign for the SIM or agree to anything for the SIM I just accepted the SIM and walked through the door. I stress at no stage was there a receipt or any paperwork detailing any costs I was not informed of any charges.

Turns out the SIM was a 30 day rolling contract at £15.50 per month! I already had a contract and would not actively pursue another one.

I realized this about 18months after the event, I know should always check the bank account. But i have quite a few direct debits coming out of my account and I just thought Vodafone made a mistake etc.

Anyway contacted Vodafone and it turns out that the number has never been used, no calls were ever made from it and no one has ever called it - not surprising since i never used it. I don't even know where the SIM is nor did i know the number. The person I spoke to on the phone asked if I wanted to cancel the number and I said yes, they also offered me a refund for 3 months which I refused. They also said why didn't i cancel the direct debit? I said i thought the companies cancelled them - anyway i contacted my bank and instructed them to cancel the direct debit and I also asked them for a direct debit indemnity to retrieve back the money I paid them.

So now Capquest have been instructed by Vodafone to recover the debt. CapQuest informed me that if the debt was not paid:

1) My Vodafone contract will be cancelled permanently.

2) A default will be placed on my credit file.

Having been on the phone to Vodafone they will not discuss my account details until the debt has been paid. I have subsequently paid the amount required by CapQuest. Vodafone has offered to refund 6 months of the contract. I feel this is still short since the SIM has never been inserted into a phone.

I have also contacted consumer@ help. vodafone. co.uk to obtain a record of the Proof of Purchase.

In the meantime I still cannot cancel the Vodafone contract and will continue to incur costs until CapQuest notifies Vodafone that the payment has indeed been paid (I do have an authorization number) and I'm waiting a receipt of payment from CapQuest.

Hi,

Cag has a Vodafone Representative on here who has helped in situations like these.

If you email Lee with your details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line?

Once sent you will receive an automated reply with a reference number.

Could you then update the thread with the reference number only and Lee get back to you and help out as soon as possible.

I'll send Lee a PM so he can keep an eye on this thread for your updated Reference Number.

Regards

Stigman

Edited by Stigman
Because I am crap at not checking what I write lol

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

So now Capquest have been instructed by Vodafone to recover the debt. CapQuest informed me that if the debt was not paid:

1) My Vodafone contract will be cancelled permanently. What contract? You never signed anything.

2) A default will be placed on my credit file. For a non existent contract! This could cause a lot of trouble for VF

The acceptance of a 'free' sim does not mean anything. It is only when a sim is used or a contract signed that anything comes into force.

The sim has never been used so I cannot see how VF or CQ can demand anything. I would be telling CQ that this 'non' account is in serious dispute and I would want VF to explain how this contract was set up without your knowledge.

Circumvention of the DD guarantee should be (if not) a sackable offence.

I wonder if VF staff get commission for these things. Perhaps Lee can comment.

Having said all that, Lee does have a pretty good track record in resolving disputes.

Please keep a check of your credit file to ensure that no erroneous entries appear

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Sliverfox,

Thanks for your comments.

I had basically no choice but to pay capquest as Vodafone refused to discuss my account due to the arrears on my account. Funny enough Vodafone is due to take another payment for the contract next week as I still can't cancel the contract, as they've not received any notification from capquest, surely it does not take 3 or 4 days for capquest to notify vodafone that the debt has been paid. I have been informed by vodafone to call back on Thursday

I suggest that if you have the facility, record any phone calls. have a script in front of you with questions to ask and try not to deviate from it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Update:

I have received no proof of purchase after 48 hours which was specified by Vodafone.

I have received no response to my web query after 48 hours.

I contacted Vodafone today to try and cancel my contract.

They confirm that they have received payment from CapQuest and I have an additional amount (another month of the contract) to pay, which I've done. But they are unable to cancel the contract as I have to give 30 days notice this I have done today.

I requested that I would like to make the payment for the end of that period but they were unable to take payment today only at the end of the contract. Fine as supposedly I could incur charges between today and January.

I asked my call to be escalated and was informed I would be contacted by a manager within 3 days. 3 more days of waiting!

If i don't get a satisfactory resolution from Vodafone by 3 days I will be escalating this to their complaints department. Or indeed the small claims court. My patience is now wearing thin!

Update,

Just had an e-mail from Lee to arrange a time for a conversation

Excellent news, please keep the thread updated.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

Update,

Just had an e-mail from Lee to arrange a time for a conversation

Before you speak with Lee, write down everything beforehand of all points and questions that you either want to ask or put across, that way you have missed nothing out which can easily be done in the heat of a conversation as sometimes you can get sidetracked.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

Sounds like a reasonable result. I won't mark this thread resolved as yet until Lee has the paperwork

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can I now mark this as resolved?

Thanks Lee. Will do it now.