Scottish Power default

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently did a credit report and found a default in my name for Scottish Power for £260 from back in 2010.

I used to be with Scottish Power before I moved to British Gas in 2009, so presume it may be related to that.

I've called Scottish Power, they have no record of my account with them. I emailed customer services and got this:

I have checked the account and it was closed to 12/11/09, no forwarding address was given so all correspondence was sent to the property.

The final invoice for £260.05 was sent out on 30/11/09, first reminder letter was issued on 08/12/09, a virtual collections letter advising you could pay online was issued on 22/12/09.

On 22/12/09 was also sent a Scottish Power final demand letter, the debt was then assigned to a Legal Agents First Locate on 07/01/10.

On 03/03/10 a default warning letter was issued.

The default was registered on 29/04/10, on 24/07/10 the account debt was returned from First Locate as they were unable to trace you.

It was then assigned to Pastdue Credit Solutions on 29/07/10 but they returned it to Scottish Power on 15/02/11 as no contact.

If we do not have a forwarding address all correspondence goes to the supply address. We then send to a legal agents so a trace can be done to try and obtain a forwarding address.

By Law the Default Warning Letter and registration letter must go to the last known address.

Scottish Power has followed all avenues to contact you regarding the outstanding balance.

There does not seem to be any error on Scottish Power’s part therefore the default would not be removed. If you were to pay the account balance we will update your credit file to show the debt as being satisfied.

I have no record of any of this correspondence being sent to me, indeed, I still live at this address, so why would there be a forwarding address. Additionally, I swapped providers, so again, why would they not contact me at my current address.

I emailed them back asking for copies of all correspondence sent to me. This is what they said:

Thank you for your email.

Please note that we are unable to locate the above mentioned property address in our systems.

Kindly resend your original query along with the Meter Serial Number, MPAN or the ScottishPower account number, so that we can locate the property and update our records accordingly.

I am now stuck, I have no account details, new meters and they wont take my calls as I am not a customer.

Can I apply to the credit reference agencies to put pressure on them to provide information.

Absolutely poor service and no recourse.

but you did default on the account

so its correctly placed?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Perhaps I did default on the account. I have had no correspondence from them (or the alleged collection companies)

Plus they believed I left the property, when I clearly only switched providers.

I have very good credit and was shocked to see this appear on my file.

My point is, if I owe the monies, then send me the proof and i'll settle it. That said, I need proof that they did indeed try to collect the debt. However, they don't seem to be able to do that.

well you could sar Scottish power.

you say you've not moved since then?

the bill was just from the house you are in now before you switched?

if that's so

and they've not billed you in the last 12mts

you owe nowt under the billing code

let alone getting a default.

something not right here

can you clarify the history please

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I did a switch to British Gas in 2009. As far as I was concerned the final bill was settled, although I no longer have any records of this. This is why I'm asking for evidence so I can correlate with British Gas records.

Can you switch providers without settling the final bill?

They claim to have sent these letters and to trace me using First Locate and Pastdue Credit, but I have never heard from these, never had a letter.

I am dealing with this by email and now have not heard back in over a week, very frustrating.

Hi Saul_Good

If you've got a final answer from Scottish Power, which I think you have. Lodge a complaint with the ICO, I believe it can be done online. Your complaint is that Scottish Power hold incorrect information regarding your former account and that had you had moved house, when you clearly had not moved and this has resulted in a 'Default' on your Credit File.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint to the CEO of Scottish Power, mark it as such. Explain what's happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do. Explain that if you had received the final bill that you would have paid it, explain that they got it wrong with regards to the incorrect information they hold on your account.

Explain to the CEO that you will be lodging a complaint with the ICO.

Mr Keith Anderson Chief Corporate Officer

keith.anderson@scottishpower.com

Also have a read of the following, I'm not sure if this is the latest version :- http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/files/2010/01/Back-billing-leaflet-2012.pdf

But it sounds like Scottish Power made the error.

Perhaps I did default on the account. I have had no correspondence from them (or the alleged collection companies)

Plus they believed I left the property, when I clearly only switched providers.

I have very good credit and was shocked to see this appear on my file.

My point is, if I owe the monies, then send me the proof and i'll settle it. That said, I need proof that they did indeed try to collect the debt. However, they don't seem to be able to do that.

It is possible to switch providers before the final bill is issued by the old supplier, infact most accounts are settled after the new account has been set up.

I did a switch to British Gas in 2009. As far as I was concerned the final bill was settled, although I no longer have any records of this. This is why I'm asking for evidence so I can correlate with British Gas records.

Can you switch providers without settling the final bill?

They claim to have sent these letters and to trace me using First Locate and Pastdue Credit, but I have never heard from these, never had a letter.

I am dealing with this by email and now have not heard back in over a week, very frustrating.

• 2 months later...

I took the advice given, sent SAR and £10 recorded delivery. The cheque was cashed and still no information after 40 days. I sent another letter giving a further 14 days and this too has gone ignored.

I contacted the ICO and they have suggested I should write again. In parallel, I have to fill in the 'Access information complaint form' with the evidence of postage etc.

As you can imagine, this is getting very frustrating and limiting my ability to get certain work.

Has anyone else had any dealings with the ICO. Where will this get me and how long does it take?

Edited by Saul_Good

if its pretty cler cut

its usually very quick

they don't hang around.

dx

and they