RBS refuse to negotiate on interest, even though they got help from the tax payer!

jono_2970
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an RBS credit card account, but no valid card. I fell behind with payments some two years ago following redundancy, and an inability to get a new job. My savings are exhausted.

RBS say 'if you are having financial difficulties, call us' but all I got was cold people on the other end, saying 'we don't negotiate on the interest'.

The debt is not astronomical - it is about £3,800, and I was paying through my bank on DD. I can no longer afford to do this. Does anyone have any idea why RBS simply will not work with customers who are in trouble?

The worst thing? They removed my ability to pay on-line, and I was seeing some real progress there. It's like because they have been helped out, they don't care about anyone else.

Has anyone has successful dealing with RBS, and found them helpful and friendly (unlike my experience)?

I think that part of the problem you have here is in trying to deal with this on the phone.

If it were me I would sit down and do an income and expenditure account to see exactly what your finances are like.

You should then wrote to the lender setting out your financial position and the reasons and ask them to freeze interest for a period of, say six months, while you make reduced payments on the account. If £1 per month is all you can afford then so be it.

This is a low priority debt and you must ensure that priorities are taken care of first, things like mortgage/rent, council tax and the like.

The lender has a duty to help you if you are in financial difficulty.

Are there any unlawful charges on the account which you could claim back such as late payment fees etc.?

You could also look here as a starting point as to how these companies must help people in hardship.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/financial-hardship-unaffordable-lending.htm