Sick with worry

alcatraz1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI! New to this but desperately need some advice.I made a single persons child tax credit claim in december 2011 and have been receiving them ever since. I received a letter from compliance telling me thatthe details for money earned didnt match to their information.Frantically looking for pay slips I agreed it didnt. I had put in my salary not the final pay at end of year. I then checked and have done the same thing for the previous year. I called them and they said they would amend and send out amended amount presumably with me owing them. I am in a state of panic will I have to just pay back what I owe.will I be penalised or worse be prosecuted.there is only me and my two kids so no family for advise and support and am petrified that I will lose my job.

So went to CAB and explained all.Thet told me to do nothing until I find out what they are going to do with repayment of overpaid credits. I asked whether I should inform them that other years could be wrong resulting in overpayments and was told no not at this stage. Im sort of happy with that but after reading other peoples posts am not sure whether to sort it all out in one go.Any thoughts .

Hi alcatraz1 and Welcome to CAG! :-)

At the moment I think you should just wait and see what they send you. They may well check the previous year themselves.

I would think they will just calculate the overpayment and amend future payments accordingly. I've seen situations on the Forum which are far worse than yours and the worst I've ever seen happen is that any overpayment has to be repaid. I really don't think you'll be prosecuted unless an enormous amount of money is involved. Taking someone to Court is expensive, the taxpayer has to pay for it, and it has to be justified, so if a satisfactory repayment schedule can be agreed they are unlikely to prosecute you. :-)

DD

Thanks.that is what I keep being told but doesnt change the fact that I am so stressed about it.i have no problem with paying back or even a penalty but just feel so stupid for year after year not checking them properly or my p60s for that matter.

I know. It is very, very stressful. But I really don't think you will be prosecuted. I think they are pretty good at seeing where a genuine mistake has been made. I am one of those people who always leaves her tax return until the very last minute because I hate paperwork with a vengeance and never check anything until I really need to.

Hang in there. I'm sure it will be okay. There have been several girls here who have been beside themselves with worry about overpayments and I promise you that it's just been a question of repayment.