Advice Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I bought a 2nd hand car from a dealer on 5th October,

I asked for his best price as I didn't have p/ex and had cash,

after some pushing he dropped the price by £195.

I did a test drive, went back to his office paid him the cash and collected the paperwork.

I drove to a fuel station no more than 500 yds away, put in some fuel, but it wouldn't start.

I telephoned the dealer, who came out with a jump box, but even I knew the battery wasn't flat because the dash lights, windows etc. were still working,

I told him I wasn't happy with the car now, but he said the deal was done.

He recovered the car to get it repaired, and said it was a loose wire.

I went back on 7th Oct, picked up the car and had to return again because the front of the stereo was missing.

When I got home I put the face on the radio, but nothing happened and

on investigation found that the unit wasn't wired in,

there weren't even the leads to connect it!

I bought new iso leads but no joy,

took it and had it tested and the output had blown so the unit was useless.

On 14th Oct the car went dead again and wouldn't start,

I called the dealer and he said he couldn't do anything about it now, as I had had the car for a week.

I called out RAC who said it needed a new starter motor.

I again contacted the dealer who said if I took it back he would get his garage to have a look at it,

also if I called round to his office he had another stereo I could have, (luckily my brother had lent me his spare)

and the garage would need the car 2 days.

I called the garage direct, and they seemed aware the starter had gone,

I arranged to take it for the repair at the dealers expense.

While the repair was being done I went for a walk and

on my return the car was finished,

but when I got in my car the dealer had been to it,

taken out the stereo my brother had lent me and left it on the seat (a £200 unit)

and put another in its place that still didn't work because he hadn't wired it in properly.

To top things off I got 1/2 a mile along the road and the engine management light came on,

I had to return to the garage to sort that as well.

Do I have to accept what the dealer has done, or can I get a refund,

I think there may be other problems that I haven't found yet.

Any advice welcome.

T

Soga. Covers you 100%.

As for ' the deal is done' I wonder what trading standards would say if they knew he said that.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Give him a letter stating that you are rejecting the car under S14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as the car is not of satisfactory quality in that it is not free from minor defects. List the defects, demand a full refund and let him know where the car can be collected from (you are not obliged to return faulty goods under SOGA). But this bit is crucial - stop using the car!. Make sure you put this in writing and hand deliver it (or recorded delivery). You have not lost the right to reject after such a short time, and also not because he has done some repairs.Next time pay at least £100 on your credit card - even if you have the cash. That way the credit card company would be liable too.