Voidance of Buildings Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all. This is my first time posting so I hope you will bear with me.

I recently took out buildings insurance with AXA online, paying an initial credit card fee on completion of the policy form. The next day I was contacted by a member of their Data Team asking questions about my claims history. I notified them that I had previously had two claims- one for car insurance and one for contents insurance- but hadn't included them on my form as I didn't think they were relevant. They said that the car insurance claim wasn't an issue but the contents was so I advised them I would update the policy to include it as it was a previously disclosed claim to my current contents insurer and would pay their increased premium, if any. They notified me that this was taken as a non-disclosure and the policy would be immediately voided with a full refund of my initial credit card fee.

After some research I contacted them the next day to discuss opening a dispute with the voidance as it put me in an awkward position for future insurance. I was told that I couldn't open a dispute against it but the voided policy was specifically an internal one and it wouldn't affect me or my premium in future. I find this hard to believe but after contacting the Citizen's Advice, FOS and FCA no-one seems able to give me any information on my position.

What I would like to know is; can I open a dispute on the voidance of said policy effectively clearing my name if upheld? Is it at all possible that it would only be AXA that keep this information or do they have to notify the relevant body and can I get access to the notification to confirm it is on my history? And also, with my partner being named on the policy does this affect any future insurance she may try and get?

Please understand, I am not trying to hide the voided policy. I merely want to know where I stand in future. Can I have the void revoked or do I have to accept that it will be on my insurance history? I appreciate the negligence on my part but I'm only looking to understand this better.

I thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give.

Get axa to put that in writing. If it turns out it does affect future insurance, then you can issue a claim against them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Get something in writing from Axa for future reference that their voidance/cancellation is not something that needs to be disclosed when arranging future Insurances. Axa have been a bit heavy handed, if the Contents claim was for something minor.

There is no central database as such for a voidance, but you would be wise to have something in writing. It can be a small world the Insurance business, with Axa acting as underwriters for many different branded policies.

On the basis of what you have been told, you should make sure you have Buildings Insurance set up somewhere else and can answer the question that you have not had a policy cancelled, as Axa have advised that their cancellation does not need to be disclosed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

What a strange thing for Axa to say? How do Axa know what another underwriter will accept as voidance? Potentially it was prior to the policy going live and therefore just not business accepted rather than void? Deffo get clarification for that

Any cancellation or refusal of insurance potentially needs to be disclosed to all future insurers - they rarely confine their questions to e.g. have you had a car insurance policy refused or cancelled.

Whilst this may not result in increased premiums or any other cost in future, it is likely to make life difficult since you'll invariably have to provide details which will be considered by an underwriter who will then decide if they'll give you cover. In those circumstances a letter from AXA setting out the facts would be very useful and might speed things up.

For future reference and information for other forum members, unless the question is specifically restricted to one type of insurance, it's safest to disclose all claims etc. and let the underwriter decide if it's relevant or not.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hey,

Although I agree that you should have of disclosed the contents claim or at least asked if it was relevant rather than deciding it wasnt, it is a rather extreme measure to void the policy due to the implications that it has on future insurance, usually only used in cases of intentional fraud. Most companies will just charge an additional premium based on what they would have charged you if you had disclosed it.

The only reason I can see that they would cancel a policy is if it is a risk that they would never have accepted. It may be worth asking if they can void the policy from inception e.g they refund you the premium and take you off cover and it is as if you never had cover with them and you dont have to disclose it.

In terms of their right to do it, unfortunately the insurer has a right to cancel the contract at any time.

Hope this helped.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudiceicon. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional.

All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here,my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

" No one can make you feel inferior without your consent " - Eleanor Roosevelt