Personal injury court case - any experiences?

siriusb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Technically they would be witnesses for one of the defendants so would I be right in thinking it would not be my ( my solicitors) responsibility to pin them down? Anything they would need to say is covered in emails I have printed off.

• 4 months later...

Well looks like i'm heading back to my original question...

POC filed, and defendants replies recieved. In all honesty outright lies in places and certainly 'grey' areas in their response/s but still left me really upset as they are saying it's my fault.

My solictor put forward part 36 offer which was rejected but counter offer (with no admission of liability) for less than half the amount put forward by defendants. This amount didn't even cover my lost wages. I rejected this offer.

So now I have provided all documents etc for disclosure, and provided dates that I am not available for court.

I know that a settlement may still occur BUT having seen how the defendants have replied it feels like they are mud slinging my way to try and make it all my fault. I am not entirely sure they will back down.

If it goes to court it will be my word against 6 'managers' for the other sides - which I hate the thought of.

Random questions - how much does a court case like this cost in reality - ignoring any potential award...i'm just talking about solicitors and barristers and judges costs i guess...

• 1 month later...

Well the other side have upper there original offer by about 60% compared to their first offer but it is still below what my part 36 offer was. But i'm torn. I'm at the point where i really just want this over. I don't want to have to face down managers who i work with on a daily basis now in a court case. But then i do feel like the defendants are taking the michael by making such a low offer.

My solicitor is happy to pursue the case further but realistically the offer made by the other side is about 12% below the lowest offer she recommended i accept so it is not a huge difference we are talking about.

The other side have categorically said that this offer is their final offer and i think the next step is disclosure of documents...

Any thoughts/advice peeps?

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

I agreed back at the start of May to settle my PI claim (marginally below what the solictor suggested I accept as my lowest offer).

I received a letter from my solictor saying it usually takes 4-8 weeks for the settlement to be paid (even that seemed like a long time but i rolled with it).

It is now well past the 8 weeks. I rang my solicitor and was informed by her secretay that it can take longer than that - and 4-8 weeks was 'average', and that they had not received a payment as yet.

I settled because i just wanted the toing and froing over and done with and yet i'm still having to push and chase.

Does anyone know if there is any legislation that governs the time limit that settlement sums have to be paid once agreed? Can i claim interest on the sum due to the delay?

My solictors are ok...not great, just ok so i'd like to go back to them an demonstrate i seriously want that cheque in my grubby mitt asap!

Fed up of doing all the chasing.

I think if you make your complaint via the FOS, then once htey have told the Bank they have to cough up, they get 8 weeks to pay out.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think if you make your complaint via the FOS, then once htey have told the Bank they have to cough up, they get 8 weeks to pay out.

Arghgg. More sodding paperwork!I think part of the problem is the solicitors I am using. Apart from the FOS, whom i am happy to go to, is there anything within the whole PART 36 settlement offers stuff that gives a maximum time the settlement has to be paid in once agreed?

Personal Injury claim or Personal Protection Insurance claim?

If the claim has settled the time for payment would usually be specified in the consent order/settlement agreement. There is no one-fits-all size for payment. 8 weeks sounds pretty excessive to me.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS