style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We have been renting a property now for about 1 year and we had a fault with a rainwater harvesting system which runs outside our house in the garden.

It runs a down stairs toilet water supply. When you flush the toilet its water supply pressure drops and the pump picks this up and pumps water to refill it.

This being outside you cant really tell it is running. Untill you get a quarterly bill in for electric of a extra £300 onto because this pump ran for approx 3 months none stop using 1.3 units a hour.

I complained about it to landord and asked if he could also pay me the money to pay electric. He fixed the fault and refused to pay the bill of electric that it ran up. There is nothing in the tenancy agreement saying who is responsible for the bill only that he is to maintain and repair. But there hasn't been any maintenance on it that i know of or his agent that we pay the rent to.

I asked him again and point blank said no he is not paying it... Is there any legal means to me making him pay this or am i just going to have to work this out my self. Things arnt great at the moment as it is and this could mean that we have key meters in to pay this off. which i am also waiting for him to agree too as it states i cant alter pipes or meter supply's to the house

Thanks for any help

If the meter is in yoru name and you pay the bill, then he cant stop you changing the meter or supplier.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Thanks for the reply,

The electric and gas is in our name, Would that mean the meter is in my name?

This is part of our tenancy agreement which states

Not to tamper, interfere with, alter or add to the gas, water or electrical installations or meters, either in or serving the Property.

Even tho this is part of the agreement which we signed that would surely mean that we cant agree to have the key meters put in unless he agrees that we can. That statement must be legally binding right?

Paul

He can put whatever he likes in the T&C's, if its not lawful then its an unfair term. YOU are paying the bills, the meter is in YOUR Name. Therefore you have the legal right to change to whatever you like. However you'll most likely find that you might have to put it back as it was upon termination of your tenancy.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Have a word with Shelter - they have a department specifically for tenant/landlord issues.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold

Ring 0808 800 4444

8am-8pm Monday-Friday

8am-5pmSaturday-Sunday

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Paul2, at first reading that clause is to make it a breach of contract to bypass the meter, overload the electric circuit or install appliances that may not be on GSC or PAT tested. The obvious reason why Ts may do the above for electric is cultivating cannabis in quantity.

Utility bills in your name, you are responsible for usage charges. The gas/elec meters remain the property of Centrica, who can change them as required, without bill payer or LL permission. Many elec/gas Co's will insist on fitting a pre-payment meter to recover outstanding debt from T.