Third Party Car Insuarnce Cover - Selling Car

smed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Appreciate any advice

I've bought a new (to me) car before selling my exisitng car

- my exisitng car is taxed until next year and I hope to sell it as soon as possible.

I'm swapping my existing insurance to my new car which will mean my exisitng car will be uninsured

- can potential purchasers test drive my old car (without any cover from me) providing they have third party cover

or will I still need to insure my exisiting car.

I'm looking at getting "laid up" cover - will this effect anyone taking for a test drive?

Thanks

COuld do what i do. My insurance covers me for any vehicle in the UK at third party insurance value. SO even if i bought a new car and switched my insurance, i am still insured to drive my old one.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I check that - but seem to think my third party cover is for any car not owned by meJust didn't want to be in the position if someone wants to test drive that I can't let them due to no insurance with this continuous insurance lark

the test driver would need ins that says, drive any car with owners permission.

its the driver that needs ins not the vehicle. as far as I know

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks

How do I get around the continuous insurance issue

- it's taxed which I'd like to sell with the car

- park on a private drive so not on the road

- does it need to be SORN'd and

is there an issue if driven on the road for a test drive.....

**can't seem to get the text to work with with line breaks in it**

hit the multi colour AAA icon top left above msg box.

if its taxed, you don't need to sorn it.

as 'you've' got no ins

you'll need to keep it off the road.

as for the test drivers

THEY will need ins that says drive any car with owners permission.

as far as I know, its the DRIVER that needs ins to dtiver the vehicle - NOT the vehicle needs ins for any driver.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've just checked my policiy which states i have third party cover to drive any car not belonging to me or loaned to me under a rental agrreement etc providing i do not own the vehicle, and the owner holds a valid policy for the vehicle.

Ie my policy would not cover me to test drive a car on which no policy was held, even though any claim would be through me not the cars owner.

Hi All,

Appreciate any advice

I've bought a new (to me) car before selling my exisitng car

- my exisitng car is taxed until next year and I hope to sell it as soon as possible.

I'm swapping my existing insurance to my new car which will mean my exisitng car will be uninsured

- can potential purchasers test drive my old car (without any cover from me) providing they have third party cover

or will I still need to insure my exisiting car.

I'm looking at getting "laid up" cover - will this effect anyone taking for a test drive?

Thanks

No insurance means the car has to have a SORN which means it cannot be used on any public road. Even if the person had third party cover if caught, they will probably get points on their licence besides the fine. There is also a possibility that the car could be crushed.

Your Insurers can swap over the cover and also add temp cover back on for your old car you hope to sell. That would probably be the best way.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 weeks later...

To clarify some of the points raised in this post which I trust will be useful to other Caggers....

*Driving other Cars* extension under your own policy provides Third Party Only cover should you drive and vehicle not owned/registered to you. It is not something to rely on and was originally designed for use in an emergency. Most Personal Lines insurers no longer provide this extension and very rare under commercial contracts.

If someone needed to claim whilst driving under this extension, it would be the driver's own insurance policy that would respond, not the owner of the vehicle.

Whilst you have now covered this temporarily, the driving warranty must be for "any driver" otherwise you will need to ensure that any prospective purchaser has the correct "driving other cars" extension to their policy. If not, they could be prosecuted for driving without insurance and you can also be prosecuted for allowing someone to drive a vehicle without insurance.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)