Legal requirement to tell my employer my address!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been having problems with debt over the 2 years.

I've now put myself in a position to climb out of the hole I'm in.

I moved this weekend & my employer knows this and now wants to know my new address..

The problem is they passed on my previous address to bailiffs when it was request before.. Because I am unhappy with them disclosing this information I am going to refuse to give my new address but pass them my parents address as a C.O.

As far as I am concerned, I will have notifications of any mail sent to me by my work, and my home will be my safe-zone. By that I mean I can live in peace without having to worry about random bullies knocking at my door until I have got my footing again and I'm able to gain a debt-free status again.

I have recently set myself up with a DMP (Stepchange) who are starting to 'manage' my debts with me so I am on track to get things paid up..

What are my legal obligations to tell my employers my address..?

Am I legally entitled to pass them a C.O. or PO-Box because I need to feel safe in my own home?

What does this clause say I need to provide?

Also, Who are they allowed to disclose my details too?? I assumed by doing that they were in breach of the Data Protection Act. Does this count for government requests (E.G Councils)?

Edited by Synergy2

It is entirely reasonable for your employer to have your address to send pay slips etc to.

I think you would be better asking about bailiffs rights on the debt boards. I do know eventually debtors can just attach your earnings to get what they are due.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I really don't care what is reasonable for my employer to know. I care about my rights and my legal obligations only. I need to live somewhere without fear of knocks at my door.

My employer has not posted anything in 3 years so I do not expect anything to be mailed to me. My pay-slips are on my desk on the day before payday. I do not need any advice on bailiffs as everything is now starting to fall in place.

My original questions still stand. What are my legal obligations? Can I provide a C.O. or POBox as an address? Who can they pass on these details to?

Well, your employer puts your address on HMRC forms. So they have a valid reason for needing it. If HMRC are ok with a c/o address and there is clearly no attempt at fraud eg claiming benefits at another address or evading council tax, it's probably ok.

The reason I suggest posting on the debt boards is that the information your employer can/ may be obliged to pass over may be dictated by the kind of court order held. They will have better knowledge of the process on that board.

Also, I'm a bit sickened you'd rather send the bailiffs round your mum and dad's house so they have to deal with them. Because they WILL turn up there. Don't your folks also deserve to live without fear?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Bailiffs WILL find out where you are regardless of whose address you put down as a CO address.

If you are expecting bailiffs to turn up then I suggest you prewarn your parents on a few things first. As Emmzzi has suggested it would be in your interest that you do have a look on the bailiff part of the forums.

I'm a bit sickened....

Emmzzi, although I appreciate your response, I urge you to curb your judging of me & my actions. You do not know my situation or my relationship with my family. They have nothing to worry about as I do not live there & they are aware of what I am doing, and they know what to say/do if they receive a knock.. I move a lot with work so I change my address often. All my banking etc goes to my parents as it's a static address that I can use. Otherwise I would have 2 or 3 bank/driving license changes every year.

My debts are being managed so all of these people will get everything in due time. I need to get on my own feet first before I am in a position to start to pay others. I do not need debt or bailiff advice. I am not evading tax, and I am not committing fraud.

My questions still stand..?

Edit: I am sorry if you see my manner as rude, It is not my intention. I am just looking for a straight answer to my questions.

Edited by Synergy2

The world, however, is full of shades of grey. And again, I have answered your questions regarding what you ,must do for your employer; and in terms of who they can pass data on to, that is not an employment question; it's debt or DPA. Ask on the right board and you'll find out!!

A couple of questions i have to ask. What debt are the bailiffs trying to collect? Are bailiffs actually threatening to turn up, or is a DCA threatening to send them?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

@Emmzzi - Thanks.. But it still doesn't answer my question. I know they WANT my address, but I don't know what I am allowed to provide them with. HMRC only provide forums for Employers and I can find nothing to support either side of the argument about what I need to tell them.

@RenegadeImp - I should never have mentioned the debts.. I now see them as irrelevant to the question, and instead are steering the answers onto another topic.. But, the debts are an old water bill and an old rent bill. Just letters threatening, no one has ever visited. The original debtors have been informed of my DMP and the bailiffs will never see a penny from me. I have no obligation to speak with them or agree to pay them anything.

Why don't you telephone HMRC and ask if a C/O address is acceptable.

I have a lot of respect for your parents if they are going to be fighting off Bailiff visits on your behalf !!!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Why don't you telephone HMRC and ask if a C/O address is acceptable.

I have a lot of respect for your parents if they are going to be fighting off Bailiff visits on your behalf !!!

Ah.. A simple answer. Wish I had thought of this first :-)

I have massive respect for my parents too.. Within 2 months all my debts will be gone and so will this issue..

Thanks for your help people!

If bailiffs are already involved, then I seriously suggest that you read up on what they can and cannot do. Even if you pay your creditors what you owe them the bailiff will want his share and will proceed to do what is necessary until they get their fee's paid.

If bailiffs are already involved, then I seriously suggest that you read up on what they can and cannot do. Even if you pay your creditors what you owe them the bailiff will want his share and will proceed to do what is necessary until they get their fee's paid.

I'd say OP has experience here already

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?178916-Equita-My-rights&p=1935293#post1935293

Yes. I have experience with debts before, and I have never signed any contract or agreed anything with a bailiff.. So unless they are Council (Tax)/government and actually have some power, I will never hand anyone other than my original debtor money. As you may have figured, money is not my forte. I cannot stand the evil little I.O.U.'s, alas it is the way of the world & I must conform to sustain a liveable life. This doesn't mean I will be a slave to it, or be bullied by threats regardless of who they are from. Yes there is some rebel in me but I pay my dues more than fairly and I have never claimed a penny.

You can close/lock/delete this thread now.

Thanks.

Your employer has to inform Taxman and the other departments of your address as per filling of tax payment/social fund.N.I. Payments recorded to your account i.e. Pension contributions etc etc

Thankyou. This is what Emmzii was stating too. I understand this. I will look through legal forms to see exactly what I can tell them without getting into trouble.

you will find if you are using another address for your driving licence that can get you into trouble,you might find your car insurance people will get a bit shirty with you also!

Car insurance people are happy with my driving licence address being different to my living address as my car is registered to that address also. Correspondence is forwarded to me. I refuse to pay to update my address 3 times a year. DVLA are happy also. Emails saved to cover my a*s.

I'll let you know when I find the exact clause. I appreciate the advice.

If it will all be sorted in 2 months flat then I'd just stall. Surely you can be busy and forgetful for 8 weeks? I mean, there's the letter of the law, and there is pragmatism.

Car insurance people are happy with my driving licence address being different to my living address as my car is registered to that address also.

Is the address the insurance company are basing the premium on the 'risk' address or a correspondence address?

It is entirely possible to have a recorded correspondence address and a separately recorded 'risk' address.

If the car is registered with the insurers as being at a correspondence address, but is actually at a different risk address which the insurers aren't aware of, this can invalidate your policy.

If it will all be sorted in 2 months flat then I'd just stall. Surely you can be busy and forgetful for 8 weeks? I mean, there's the letter of the law, and there is pragmatism.

I wish this was possible but I am sat in the same room as HR.. And to forget the number of my house for 8 weeks will be tricky. Considering I'm pretty good normally for communication...

Is the address the insurance company are basing the premium on the 'risk' address or a correspondence address?

The 'risk' address is where I am now living, not my parents. Only drivers license, and car are registered to my correspondence address.. This is all clear with all parties and everyone is happy. Thanks for the flag here.

I wish this was possible but I am sat in the same room as HR.. And to forget the number of my house for 8 weeks will be tricky. Considering I'm pretty good normally for communication...

I can't imagine the legalities are going to help you much here then. Either way you will look evasive and uncooperative. Personally I would tell them you *are* living at your parents, if they are in the same town, "between houses", and change again in 8 weeks. It's the c/o address that looks dodgy. I would imagine you do not want your employer to be suspicious of you? Address evasion suggests many much worse things than minor debt!

They know I have moved to be closer to work (to reduce outgoings) and know I moved this weekend. They also know I do not want to give them my address because I have been to-the-point about not wanting them to pass on my living address details, only my static address. As I mentioned in my first post. I want to be able to go home and relax. It's bad enough leaving trails of debt at old addresses for whoever the new tenant(s) is/are. I prefer not to totally publicise my dirty laundry (ironically I'm posting it all in a public forum). A static address is there for that reason and so that any mail actually reaches me. There is nothing malicious/evasive/illegal about my actions.

I didn't say you WERE, I would say you would LOOK. We see it all in HR - evading police, CSA, your dealer, mad exes.... I'd say debt collectors were small fry in the scheme of what people are imagining about you!

Anyway. If they know all this what has their reaction been? Are they actually quoting a reason at you or is this all a big old academic debate to pass the time?

There is nothing malicious/evasive/illegal about my actions.

I suggest you real your posts again.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D