JSA eligibility and NI Contributions

YCymro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm currently trying to claim JSA (contributions based - i don't qualify for income based jsa because of my wife's earnings) but my claim has been rejected as one of the years used for the assessment (2010-11) i have a shortfall of just over 100 pounds (9 weeks contributions)

If i make a voluntary contribution to make up the shortfall, close my existing claim and open a new one, once the voluntary contribution has been processed, will i then be eligible ?

2 seperate people i have spoken to on the benefit centre phonelines have advised me to do this. However on the HMRC site i have read that voluntary NI contributions don't count towards JSA and am now very confused. I'd rather not pay £100 to make up the shortfall if any future claim for JSA will still get rejected

It's frustrating that because there was a short time when i wasn't working or signing on that i am ineligible despite the many years of previously paid contributions and now on the one occasion i need help the application is refused

Any advice welcomed

Unfortunately you are correct - voluntary NI doesn't count towards JSA, only towards your State Pension. So if you wish to make up the shortfall by all means do, but it won't help your current circumstances.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.