Student Loans default credit report Experian

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Advice please. I would be very grateful for any advice helping me to rectify this situation favourably, I don't have much experience of this kind of situation..

I recently checked my credit report for the first time in a long time as I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and found that The Student Loans Company had put a default on my account. I was unaware this had happened. I made a complaint via Experian - they came back with the message that SLC felt it was justified - apparently it happened after I last moved house and there was a period when letters didn't reach their destination this was Feb 2008 so the default is due to expire. I would like it removed obviously as I don't feel it was justified - I gave them my new address and even called them to communicate that letters they promised to send ( I wanted to defer the account) hadn't arrived. During this time they also charged penalties to the account - I think the "admin fee" for sending a letter..it's so long ago I don't rightly remember.

Secondly - I wrote to them some years ago - not sure exactly when but say 2010 ( I wasn't aware the account had been put into default on my credit report) when I paid off the loan and highlighted the fact I would be paying off the amount I owed but not the charges but from that moment I considered the matter closed - I also called them to state this and I didn't hear back from them.

Then this July I checked my credit report to see the account in default and the amount owing remained as the amount of charges I had not paid... then there's asecond amount Payment terms of £63 - I'm not sure what this is?

Current Balance: £95

Payment Terms: £63

Anyway I called them - slightly distressed.. after lengthy discussion an agent agreed that I need not pay the charges and that she would close the account and update credit agencies etc This was agreed with manager or whatever. 3 weeks later I checked my credit report - the account remained the same. I called again.. some bizarre discussion occurred whereby it was claimed I had to pay £5.06 in order for them to to do what the previous agent had agreed to even though the previous agent hadn't mentioned anything of the like..I really couldn't understand but just paid the £5.06 really hoping this was the last of it.

So just checked my report and it's all still there..

I have called and been told they will call me back on Tuesday next week.

I should add that my every dealing with them practically causes a nervous breakdown as the conversation is so lengthy getting the agent to understand the situation .. the situation is causing me to feel quite insane and worried for all the students who are now getting out massive loans. My loan was £500 in 1994.... it enabled me to buy a car after graduating so that I could drive 20 miles back and forth to my first post-student job - great at the time but the grief it has caused - - lost hours chasing them and sheer frustration plus the knock effect - is incredible...and depressing.

If the debt default is composed of charges then you can challenge its removal.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If the debt default is composed of charges then you can challenge its removal. Can I ask when you last made a payment

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Advice please. I would be very grateful for any advice helping me to rectify this situation favourably, I don't have much experience of this kind of situation..

I recently checked my credit report for the first time in a long time as I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and found that The Student Loans Company had put a default on my account. I was unaware this had happened. I made a complaint via Experian - they came back with the message that SLC felt it was justified - apparently it happened after I last moved house and there was a period when letters didn't reach their destination this was Feb 2008 so the default is due to expire. I would like it removed obviously as I don't feel it was justified - I gave them my new address and even called them to communicate that letters they promised to send ( I wanted to defer the account) hadn't arrived. During this time they also charged penalties to the account - I think the "admin fee" for sending a letter..it's so long ago I don't rightly remember.

Secondly - I wrote to them some years ago - not sure exactly when but say 2010 ( I wasn't aware the account had been put into default on my credit report) when I paid off the loan and highlighted the fact I would be paying off the amount I owed but not the charges but from that moment I considered the matter closed - I also called them to state this and I didn't hear back from them.

Then this July I checked my credit report to see the account in default and the amount owing remained as the amount of charges I had not paid... then there's asecond amount Payment terms of £63 - I'm not sure what this is?

Anyway I called them - slightly distressed.. after lengthy discussion an agent agreed that I need not pay the charges and that she would close the account and update credit agencies etc This was agreed with manager or whatever. 3 weeks later I checked my credit report - the account remained the same. I called again.. some bizarre discussion occurred whereby it was claimed I had to pay £5.06 in order for them to to do what the previous agent had agreed to even though the previous agent hadn't mentioned anything of the like..I really couldn't understand but just paid the £5.06 really hoping this was the last of it.

So just checked my report and it's all still there..

I have called and been told they will call me back on Tuesday next week.

I should add that my every dealing with them practically causes a nervous breakdown as the conversation is so lengthy getting the agent to understand the situation .. the situation is causing me to feel quite insane and worried for all the students who are now getting out massive loans. My loan was £500 in 1994.... it enabled me to buy a car after graduating so that I could drive 20 miles back and forth to my first post-student job - great at the time but the grief it has caused - - lost hours chasing them and sheer frustration plus the knock effect - is incredible...and depressing.

The reason this stresses you so much is using the phone, any such disputes are best addressed in writing as you have already seen what one person says on the phone is different from the next conversation.

Put your 'complaint' in writing to the Compliance Manager at SLC and send by recorded signed for post done today they should have it hand by Tuesday.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 1 month later...
The reason this stresses you so much is using the phone, any such disputes are best addressed in writing as you have already seen what one person says on the phone is different from the next conversation.

Put your 'complaint' in writing to the Compliance Manager at SLC and send by recorded signed for post done today they should have it hand by Tuesday.

I agree with this. I personally think that the main issue (and the most distressing part) is the stress you have have to experience from this. I really don't mind talking to the phone with agents just as long as I know the issue can be resolved quickly. As for this concern, it will be best if you process this through writing as per suggestion of BRIGADIER2JCS.