PCN for Being in Bus Lane... However it wasn't my car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quick one, I received a PCN from Bristol Council for being in a bus lane on August 2nd at 1730 on a road in Bristol, the car registration on the image is close to mine but isn't mine, they got one letter wrong with the car in the image ending XVO whilst my car is XYO, also my car is black and the one in the image is silver.

Bottom line, it wasn't mine and I was at work at that time about 200 miles north of Bristol anyway.

As I have no intention of wasting a stamp in dealing with this, can I just do nothing and let them take me to court and then let it get thrown out that way?

Why would you not 'waste a stamp' sending a photocopy of your V5 to prove that your car is silver XYO rather than black XVO, thus supporting your perfectly reasonable argument that the Council has misread the numberplate, and also pointing out that if necessary, you can provide evidence that you were elsewhere at the time?

If you do nothing then you will definitely be summoned and you will have to waste a lot more than the price of a stamp in having to attend Bristol Magistrates' Court to make these arguments in person!

You don't need to send a copy of anything - just a letter pointing out that the reg number on the PCN does not match the reg number on the vehicle. They should just cancel the PCN.

To be honest, the time it took you to come here and type out your post, you could have typed an email to them instead!

OK, hopefully they will sort it out.

If you don't get a reply in the next few days though, it would still be wise to write a proper letter appealing it. Just point out again that they got the reg number wrong and the car in the image isn't the one named on the PCN.

Adhere to the prescribed process or you will find bailiffs at your door. Failure to play by the rules of the game is not good no matter the facts of the case and the obvious misread by the council. Its an administrative (cash) game, so play it. The bailiff will not care about the obvious misread or whatever pictures you show them. they will only be concerned with their 'warrant' and gouging cash from you. reasonableness and logic have nothing to do with it and will be totally absent form all the other parties.