Picking up your life after a conviction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3964 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was wondering what peoples experience was with life after a conviction (being guilty), how have you managed to shake off the guilt and shame of people knowing what you have done (and the guilt and shame that you have yourself), and any tips on gaining employment? Any useful organisations? Thank you

Hello,

this is more common than you would think. Work wise two routes I know of are self employment, and talking to NACRO.

Em

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hello,

this is more common than you would think. Work wise two routes I know of are self employment, and talking to NACRO.

Em

Thank you for replying, with regards to self employment any thoughts on what could be done, I am so used to working for others.

If you are signing on just now, why not talk to the JCP and see what support they have?

SE should be something that interests you. Window cleaning, cake or dress making, you need to think about your skills?

Of course a lot depends on the nature of the conviction. Some industries won't be worried at all. You can't be an accountant if you committed fraud but you may be a fabulous dentist or binman.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

If you are signing on have a look at the New Enterprise Allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/new-enterprise-allowance.

You need to be referred onto this scheme by the Job Centre. A quick heads up though, the providers of the scheme will want you to come to them with a business idea which they can support you with. They will not be prepared to explore a number of sketchy ideas, they haven't got the time and that's not their role. So for example if you were a carpenter or an electrician and you wanted to start out on your own, then the scheme can advise and support you set up that business. If you were undecided as to whether you might want to train as a plumber or a bricklayer or something else then they can't help you.

Thankfully the Job Centre should have an officer whose job it it to explore some of those ideas and help you put a business plan together before you get referred onto the enterprise scheme.

As for putting it all behind you, what's done is done and it is better to look forward. You know how people are like, most will have heard about it at the time of the hearing/trial, but will have moved forward themselves in their own lives. It might just get mentioned in passing occasionally, as a piece of old gossip, but as time moves on most people forget, forgive or not really care at all.

One of my ex work colleagues was convicted of a crime and received a suspended sentence. We knew it was out of character for him to have done what he did. He didn't come back to work, which was a pity because many of us wanted to wish him all the best for the future. There were many colleagues who wouldn't allow any gossip on the subject afterwards as they felt protective towards him. He might have imagined that we were all chewing over the news on a daily basis in the office, but what he didn't know was that, in fact, he still had a lot of goodwill left amongst many of us.

So, it may not be as bad as you think in the future. Sometimes a lot of the worry is self-inflicted, and there may be a lot more support out there than you imagined.

Many have been down the same road as yourself - Emmzzi's suggestion to talk to NACRO is a good idea, they have resettlement programmes that find routes into employment and education, that may help.

I was down in a cafe near Liverpool Street in London recently. Great place, real lively, friendly atmosphere, right next to the Crisis's headquarters on Commercial Street.

I was surprised to learn the cafe was part of a scheme run by Crisis which supported homeless people and/or ex-offenders back into work. Everybody I had dealt with in there was an ex-offender. Would never have known that if I hadn't been told, and I still remember how happy and helpful all the staff were. Maybe that might be something worth looking at? They have the scheme also up and running in Oxford and Newcastle.

http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/employment-skylight-cafe.html

Just a few ideas. All the best for the future.