insurance claim against my daughter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my 20 year old daughter recently had her car insurance voided because i did,nt put down her criminal conviction, so third parties claimed and were paid out, now the insurance company is making a claim against my daughter in county court, she is worried she may lose her car, anyone had experience in this sort of case, plus it,s at birmingham county court and we live in middlesbrough

I think you can ask for the hearing be moved to your local court. I will find someone who might be able to advise.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Steven,

All convictions have to be disclosed regardless of how minor they may appear to be. If the conviction was quite a serious driving conviction such as drink driving, dangerous driving, death by dangerous etc and these were not informed to the insurer at the point the policy was taken out then then the insurer's are within their rights to recover any monies paid out.

Usually an insurer has a legal obligation under the Road Traffic Act to deal with any Third Party claim regardless of them revoking a policy, the Insurer then would recover costs back from the person who is the policyholder. This is often done to minimize costs for all involved however there are certain exceptions to this.

Unfortunately if someone has failed to declare a motoring conviction and this conviction is found out, then the Insurer are within their rights to cancel the policy and recover any costs paid out I'm afraid.

C.G.

"By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail".

"Loose lips, sink ships".

He said he didnt declare his daughters criminal convictions,his daughter must have signed the form stating the details were factual,usually if insurance companies find out someone has disregarded their duty of disclosure clause,all policies have it in the small print,they always look to recover their losses in that situation,heard a few horror stories over the years where people have lost their houses in the prevailing court actions not just cars!

What stage is the claim at and did you file a Defence? If you have received the Particulars of Claim, it may be worth acknowledging this to give you time to negotiate with the insurance company. Buying a little extra time to negotiate is a better idea than letting the insurance company get a CCJ automatically because your daughter did not respond to the claim.

How much money are we talking about here?

Edited by steampowered

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

What are the particulars of claim.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I wouldnt have thought an assault charge was anything to do with car insurance either,but they do ask for any criminal convictions to be declared,just another reason to cancel the insurance on you if anything happens,they clutch at straws

The main thing is to post up the POC's so we an see exactly what the insurer is claiming for.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If they are seeking to recover monies paid out, they should deduct any premiums paid from their claim. If they dont, they have not revoked it from day one.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Yes simply make application N244..... LiP always has priority on venue.

If you wish to query the location of the court ^^^^

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

just received the claim on the 5th july, ithink the claim is for about £2000 plus costs

Was this issued from Northampton bulk processing centre ?

You have a timeline to stick to .

Issue date 5th July + 5 days (if issued via Northampton) for service = 10 July + 14 days to acknowledge = 24th July + 14 days to submit a defence = 7th August. Check for sure on the days for service with the court, or it should be on the claim form I think.

This will be a small claims court so costs should be limited.

BCOBS

their are claiming for the third parties injuries , which amounts to approximately £3500, whiplash, for 3 people, also most likely costs, my daughter has no assets, has since sold her car and is on a low income because her job was made part time due to the economic situation, (its funded by the government), so i want it moved to my local county court so i can represent her and give the judge her side of the story, i fully realise they are technically in the right

The Claimant should have started proceedings in the local County Court. You could file an N244 asking for a transfer. But after filing a Defence you will get a Directions Questionnaire anyway which allows you to request for the hearing to take place at your local court. This should be straightforward.

I think the first thing is to write a letter to the Claimants asking for details/proof of the costs they have incurred. If this is not forthcoming she will need to defend the claim on the basis that you are unable to admit or deny what loss the Claimant has suffered. As citizenB said, fill in the acknowledgement of service immediately to get more time and do NOT miss the deadlines for filing a defence!!!

Unfortunately the judge has to follow the technical law, he does not have discretion. It is best to try and sort this before you get to a court hearing if possible. If your daughter cannot afford to pay this claim she should write to the Claimant's solicitors informing them of her financial situation as soon as possible. It might be possible to provide a income and expenditure form and reach some arrangement, such as monthly repayments.

You could ask the insurer to deduct premiums paid from the claim. The law on this is quite complicated, but in brief the insurer should only retain premiums where there has been evidence of fraud. You won't get away with arguing that failure to disclose a conviction was innocent, but you might get away with arguing it was only negligent. See http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/46/46_non_disclosure_insurance.htm and http://www.peterjtyldesley.com/fos/insurance/pages/nondisclosure.html. Include in the Defence and use this as a negotiating chip when writing to the Claimant.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry to ask but you state "section 20 assault": was your daughter convicted in a court of law or only cautioned, arrested or charged but not actually convicted and sentanced?

If convicted, did this happen before, during or after the insurance application and is your daughter appealing the conviction?

Other than that you might get some leniency if your daughter is actually unable to fill forms out or go through the insurance process on the phone/PC and you were unaware of the conviction but obviously this puts the responsibly on you.

Sorry to ask but you state "section 20 assault": was your daughter convicted in a court of law or only cautioned, arrested or charged but not actually convicted and sentanced?

It is unlikely (yet mot unheard of) that a police caution would be offered for GBH, but in general terms (since a caution involves admission of guilt) : accepting a formal caution must be declared (while not subject to Rehab of Offenders) if required to declare any cautions or convictions.

I accept that an arrest or charge doesn't imply guilt : but a caution or conviction can be held to do so.

Was the alleged offence "wounding with intent" or "GBH"?