sold item on EBAY, taken deposit, no collection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

got a bit of a dilemma.

I put my marine fish tank on ebay and had a fair bit of interest.

I accepted an offer on it outside of ebay and agreed to end the listing on ebay if he paid a deposit to hold it and arrange collection.

I did receive a £50 deposit via paypal £150 to be paid cash on collection.

This guy arranged to come and collect last tuesday,

he then didnt turn up and said hes been busy can he come friday so i said yes,

friday he messaged and said hes going away for 4 days with family can he come tues or weds,

so again i said ok but did warn him that i am going on holiday friday

and if its not gone by then i will have to rehome the fish as i have no-one to take care of them while im away.

I messaged him this morning saying you havnt given me a day/time yet when you will collect the tank

and will need to leave work to meet you so need to know asap and again stressed im on holiday on friday.

i have not heard back yet.

where do i stand in terms of his deposit.

im worried that friday will come and i will have to rehome the fish to the local fish shop

and he will then kick off about it but i have warned him and did tell him it would need to be collected by friday.

i feel like ive been messed about loads and had other interest and that really i should be able to keep the £50

he paid and re-advertise the tank.

All the time im still paying for more salt water and food for the fish so im not happy.

Any advice?

Thanks

Oh dear, this is not good news.

If you had other interested parties, perhaps you could ask the next one down the list if they are still interested. If so, return the £50.00 deposit to the buyer who is messing you around and say that you were unable to hold the item any longer.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

yep best bet is to sell again, but need to return deposit, less legitimate expenses.

Always dodgy selling outside ebay; you can still end early but get payment in full, you can then open a dispute if something goes wrong, but beware they usually side with buyer.

Personally I would be inclined to keep the deposit... that's the entire point of it!? Despite several opportunities and concessions on your part he's failed to honor his side of the agreement.

Unless you specifically stated the deposit was refundable I'd take a hard line on it, he's messing you about.