Sale of goods act.. Car sales second hand.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Some expert advise needed if possible.

My mum,a pensioner, purchased a car mid April. Did not have alot of money but did have a part ex.

She purchased a car with lots of history, stamps etc and very low mileage. Thought she was on to a winner.

Turns out the car started severely overheating, when she took it back they diagnosed it with being the head gasket.

Feel really bad that this has happened to her as making decisions about cars can be really stressful for her.She is classed as disabled and needed to buy an automatic just to make things slightly easier.

When she took the car back they said, we never give out warranty with a car less than £1000 so if you pay us another £400 we will sort the gasket and call it quits. Upon speaking directly to the guy who will be fixing it she has now found out that it has already had a new gasket and something about how he can fix it again but some disk's may slip so will probably need redoing in the future??

The dealer has now offered if she pays him £400 he will give her another car,4 yrs older than the original one, broken sun roof etc which she really is not happy about taking, i dont blame her.

My questions are...

Should all second hand cars come with a certain amount of MOT etc, her has less than nine months?

Is she entitled to a full refund of the car or are they legally allowed to not give any warranty. Should he really be making her part with more money to get a different vehicle?

Can he claim for anything from her as hes apparently told her he had her part ex back for work on it?

My mum is clearly stressed with all of this and has spoken to Citizens Advice etc only to have a long winded conversation asking what nationality she was to then be told she needs to write a letter. Any advice would be great about what a letter should state. At this moment in time she has not parted with any more money. She really does not want to cause anyone trouble she just wants a vehicle that should be fit to drive.

Many thanks

She is covered by the Sale of Goods Act - s.14 which means that all goods sold by a business to a consumer must be of satisfactory quality given the circumstances - price, age, etc.

Secondhand cars are covered.

You haven't said how much the car cost but it seems a bit unsatisfactory to expect to have to pay an extra £400 after only 3 months of ownership.