Virgin Active Membership - Cancellation refused but not tied in ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4010 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a member of Virgin active and have gone past the 12 month tie in period and am free to leave any time and this has been confirmed by the club.

Last month i missed the membership payment due to financial problems. I have been unable to use the gym due to this. The club stated that i had to pay double this month to bring the account back in line and to be able to start using the club.

I explained my financial position and stated that i was unable to pay double but can afford to pay the single months fee. They say that until the arrears are clear i cannot use the club. I wrote to them giving 1 months notice of cancellation of the membership.

They have refused to cancel the membership until the arrears are cleared which i cannot do.

Effectively i will be paying for a membership which i cannot use or cancel because i cannot pay to bring the account back in line.

I have just paid out £140 for swimming lessons also which i am not allowed to use.

I have cancelled the direct debit

Any advise

Hi Runner,

I think you have to decide what result you want from this - either to leave the gym paying the least possible, or to bring payments up to date so you can use the facilities and benefit from the swimming lessons that you've already paid for.

I don't think they should refuse to cancel the membership because you are in arrears - that's neither fair nor reasonable. If you want to simply cancel or feel you have no other option, write to their Head Office saying that, due to money problems, you have to cancel immediately. You will pay one final fee to bring the account up to date but Virgin must confirm in writing that they will accept this in full and final settlement of all amounts payable by you.

If you want to do the swimming lessons you've paid for, you will have to bring the payments up to date before they allow you access again.

If they try to make you pay any more than one month's fee or they try charging admin fees (which are unenforceable penalties), let us know.

Keep us updated.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi

Thanks for the comments, The outcome i want is to leave the club.

The way i have been treated and spoken to by the staff at my local club regarding this issue has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I will do as you say and write head office outlining the situation.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Runner,

See the letter here which says they have a limited time to accept your offer, after which, you'll withdraw it. Just use the parts you need - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?375223-David-Lloyd-probems.&p=4072858&viewfull=1#post4072858

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)