Bought another faulty Apple device!

physicsgraduate
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I swear to god it's the last time I ever buy anything from Apple!

I bought it from PC World, who today just informed me that I am just out the 1 year warranty and need to contact apple,

who no doubt will say the same thing.

I was hoping for some advice on this though because if i buy a device that is faulty and the fault doesn't become apparent until after the 1 year warranty runs out

then that surely is still an argument for a replacement/repair?

The guy I just spoke to in the shop reckons it could be a faulty hard drive, and I previously just put it down to a software glitch which can be fixed.

I set up my speakers and iPod ready to bang out some tunes and to my horror- No Music on it. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. 100 and odd GB of data, but no tunes...

This has happened before when I charge it up, add music and I know how to fix it, it just takes hours!

And it's highly inconvenient, not to mention extremely annoying.

What is the point in having this device if I can rely on it to supply me music when and where I might happen to be,

which last night was in the middle of nowhere miles away from my laptop.

this is the third time this has happened, and it also occasionally has errors in songs,

for exmaple it will be half way through playing a track and then suddenly it's playing something else,

then back to the track I was listening to, as though a segments of tracks have been mixed about.

Do I have any consumer rights here that I can enforce if necessary.

I will not be fobbed off by Apple again, they already sold me a dodgy macbook, refused to repair

and I kicked out their genius store once and humiliated by the staff for raising my voice

(after travelling all the way there from 70 miles away one day)

I never sent the letter of complaint that time, but I should have. I will certainly mention that this time if i have to.

PC world are WRONG

you are coverd under the sale of goods act

go GET PC WORLD

they are the retailer they ARE responsible to repair it.

as this is more than 6mts since purchase

you MIGHT be better off getting an independent report on the faults

and sending that in with it too.

you will be refunded that cost upon repair under SOGA

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

That's what I thought, but what do I have to do make them comply with their responsibilities.

How do I get an independent report?

I mean they could test it and say anything they want.

They could throw it against a wall, then test it and say it is faulty because it has been dropped.

So when they get you to sign up for Apple care it's a swizz then to dupe you out of more money?

This sale of good act, do you have the specifics of the bit that says I am entitled to have this repaired so I can quote it to them?

When Apple fixed my Macbook in 2008 I don't think they returned it in a better state.

I've had nothing but problems with the fan and the screen from as soon as i got it.

There were minor scratches on the casing that were barely visible when I opened it from the box which indicated to me that perhaps

it was a reconditioned faulty model that was returned by a previous customer.

I don't think they fully addressed the faults in it.

the information is in the soga link

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Wow, covered for up to six years?

Should I mention that I was aware of this fault previously and thought it was just a software glitch, or should I say it is a new fault that just occurred? Is this saying that I have up to 5 years to ask them to repair it from the time I realised it might be faulty?

I am considering asking for a refund as well because to be perfectly honest I've had it with Apple products. I was thinking of getting a smart phone instead but was lured by the 160GB capacity. I also bought it thinking it was a solid state device because I used to own an 8GB nano. I didn't realise it was a small hard drive. Not that that is anyone's fault but my own. The drive is slow, slightly noisy and the interface is outdated and awkward. I no longer want this device, but will be happy to settle for a repair as long as i get a working device back that never ever ruins my solstice camping trip ever again.

there is not specifically any time limit mentioned

however the term is 'reasonable period'

one would expect a PC or alike to at least reasonably be free from manu defacts for 3-4yrs.

there are plenty of threads here regarding PC world and there 'initial' lack of help and refusal under sOGA

I suggest you do some reading up and progress from there.

dx

and they

if you damage it accidentally you use your home ins!

dx

and they

I bought a Sony Vaio last year from Comet (now bust) and I took out a 2 year extended warranty on it,

but I'm so careful with my stuff there is no way I am going to accidentally damage it.

Funny though, the guy in the shop told me to use the warranty and 'accidentally' spill something on it near the end of the warranty.

He told me an employee bought a laptop for his family and took out the warranty, they spilled a small amount of liquid on it which broke the keyboard,

and so in order to get a full replacement instead of a repair they went ahead and poured the rest of the liquid onto it and claimed a new one!

Amazing... I'm not gonna do that though.

I like this machine a lot and I think if I did this karma would bite me back and I'd end up with newer faulty machine.

if you damage it accidentally you use your home ins!

dx

Which is fine, but it is a fact that you will lose any no claims bonus and the fact you will have to pay an excess means it still isn't quite the same. Plus the cost of house insurance goes up too. I know, it's happened to me before, wasn't worth the claim in the end.

I bought a Sony Vaio last year from Comet (now bust) and I took out a 2 year extended warranty on it,

but I'm so careful with my stuff there is no way I am going to accidentally damage it.

Funny though, the guy in the shop told me to use the warranty and 'accidentally' spill something on it near the end of the warranty.

He told me an employee bought a laptop for his family and took out the warranty, they spilled a small amount of liquid on it which broke the keyboard,

and so in order to get a full replacement instead of a repair they went ahead and poured the rest of the liquid onto it and claimed a new one!

Amazing... I'm not gonna do that though.

I like this machine a lot and I think if I did this karma would bite me back and I'd end up with newer faulty machine.

Now then, that is closer to the definition of fraud. If you've got a good machine, don't tempt fate would be my advice. If you look after your stuff, I'm sure it will last years. I like Sony stuff. Good quality.