Another CRS story probably with a little twist...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so am not sure whether this is the right way to start a new thread, but will try it anyway.

I joint the gym chain Fitness First (FF) at their branch in Walworth Road in London SE 17 in 2007. The reason being that they have gyms all over the city which I was able to use.

However in March 2013 the Walworth Rd branch was taken over by another gym company called New Fitness Exchange (NFE). Because FF had debited as usually my account for March I assumed nothing had changed for me.

I only realized at the middle of March that this was not the case when I tried to access the FF in Hammersmith and they told me that my membership had expired.

What they didn't tell me there and then was that my membership was transferred to NFE. They offered me instead to continue my contract without any changes to the conditions, which I agreed to.

On 19/03/13 FF called me and advised me that I should cancel my contract with NFE to avoid being charged by them. Hearing for the first time during the whole process that my contract had been transferred to NFE I withdrew my application to continue my FF membership immediately which was confirmed a few days later by phone.

Bear with me this is only half the story.

The same evening I went to NFE on Walworth Rd and asked them to terminate my membership by the end of March. They asked me to write my name and phone number into and agenda so they could call me to confirm the cancellation.

The next day I got a call from NFE confirming that the membership will be terminated by the end of March. Asking them whether any further action would be required they confirmed that that was not the case. However checking my bank account in the following days I noticed a direct debit order which I didn't recognised and deleted.

On 14/06/13 I received a text from C R S to contact them on 014444 449165 stating that they had sent me a letter on 07/06/13 and that they need to discuss this with me. Needless to say I never received that letter. I called them back immediately to find out who they are and what they are on about. Only after having asked them several times they disclosed that they are a debt collector acting on behalf of NFE and that I am in arrears with £240. I disputed the claim and they told me that they will send me another letter. I terminated the phone conversation after that. The next day (Saturday) I went with a friend to NFE on Walworth Rd to find out what was going on.

After explaining my dilemma to the staff in charge they produced the agenda with my name and phone number crossed out which they said confirmed that the membership was terminated. They promised that they will speak to their management Monday (17/06/13) and than call to inform me about the status, which never happened.

I am not sure what I should do now. I tried to look up C R S online, but there seem to be a lot of debt collectors with this name out there. Without a letter from them I cannot really respond in the way your forum so helpfully recommends.

I am also anxious that the whole affair could have a negative impact on my credit record which would be catastrophic because I was just planning to apply for a mortgage.

I would be extremely grateful for some advice.

Sorry for the long-winded story and thank you for your patience .

:???:

Hi makiearch. Welcome to CAG. I've asked an admin to move your thread to a relevant forum where you will get specific advice relating to your issue.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Makiearch.

Firstly, it is almost unheard of these days to hear of a disputed gym debt being put on your CRA files. You should be able to proceed with any credit application without adverse credit data appearing about this gym-related matter.

Secondly, we know of a CRS who act alongside Harlands. They operate from the same office in Haywards Heath. However, I don't know if it is Harlands that manage NFE memberships or not.

If I understand your case properly, I suggest you write a letter to NFE at Walworth Road saying :-

Since 2007, I have been a member of Fitness First at Walworth Road, London SE17 which gave me access to other FF gyms.

In March 2013, I was denied access to a FF gym because my membership had apparently expired. I then discovered that by FF membership had been "taken over " by New Fitness Exchange.

I was not at all happy about this and decided to cancel my membership immediately.

I visited the Walworth Road gym on 19th March 2013 and confirmed that I had no wish to be a member with NFE . I left my details and was told the "membership" would be cancelled.

Since then, I have been contacted by text by a company called CRS demanding payment for gym membership arrears.

I went back to Walworth Road and spoke again to the staff and was assured they would deal with this matter to ensure that I receive no further demands.

You should ensure this matter is dealt with immediately and instruct CRS to make no further demands. If they do, I will hold you responsible in any actions that I take.

I require written confirmation that the matter has been dealt with and that I owe you nothing.

Take the letter to the gym and have them sign a 2nd copy of it, as proof of receipt. Tell them to forward it to their admin or head office for immediate action.

Let us know what happens, particularly if you get a letter from CRS.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks so much slick132 for the comprehensive advice.

Your understanding of my case is absolutely correct.

I will write the recommended letter and bring it to NFE on Walworth Rd as soon as possible and hopefully they will sign the second copy as a receipt.

However I intend to take a friend along to bear witness to my dealings with them.

It might take a couple of days since I'm very busy at work all the time.

I'll keep you posted anyway as soon as I know more.

Cheers

Hi slick 132,

Just to let you know:

I dropped off the letter at NFE yesterday as you recommended. I had to leave it with the receptionist because the management wasn't available but he signed the copy I brought with me. I also had a friend coming with me to bear witness. I guess now I have to wait and see what happens next. I will keep you posted.

Cheers:-)

Hi,

it's now a week that I dropped off the letter at NFE reception on Walworth Rd and I haven't had any response neither from NFE nor did CRS contact me again.

Is there anything I should do now or shall I just wait and if nothing happens consider the case as settled?

Cheers

If they're wrong and they know it, they will probably never contact you again. They're too self proud and stuck up to admit it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Makiearch,

We could always hope that's an end to it but, knowing CRS, I suspect they'll come back with some half-brained reasons why they need more money.

In the meantime, do nothing and let us know if they come back to you.

If anyone calls you about this, tell them you'll deal with it in writing only, then hang up !!

:wink:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Just had a call from NFE confirming that my membership was cancelled in March. They apparently are in the process of sorting things out with CRS and apologized for the confusion.

They told me to ignore any letters I get from CRS.

Good news at last I suppose.

Thanks so much again for the excellent advice and support.

I would like to make a donation but haven't figured out yet how to do that.

If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate that.

Cheers:-D

Hi Makiearch,

This is good but it would be better still if you had a letter from NFE confirming thier views.

I'd leave it for now though and only follow matters up if CRS come back on this.

We shall see ............... :-)

Sorry, about making a donation, if you hover your cursor over the word donation, it'll open a message box that has a link at the bottom right.

Click on it and you can donate to the site.

Thanks in anticipation of your donation. :thumb:

:-)

Hi slick!

Surprise, surprise!! I've got a text again today from CRS informing me that they sent me a letter a week ago, which I never received, and that I must call them. I texted back that they didn't send me a letter and that I am not communicating with them over the phone.In addition I told them that if didn't stop sending me texts I would report them to the OFT for harassment.

Any suggestions?

Hope you are going to be happy with the donation.

Cheers

Hi Makiearch,

Your reaction to their text was fine and you should continue to ignore them.

We can hope that NFE call them off but it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to continue to seek payments regardless.

Report back of the next developments.

:wink: