Travel insurance company being unreasonable? Please help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I recently submitted a claim to my travel insurance company regarding my passport that was damaged in a bar. However, I am still outside the UK so applying for a new passport is almost double the cost than it is applying from the UK.

Upon submitting my claim, my travel insurance company demanded that I showed them proof that I have returned to the Uk already as my policy expirered just 2 weeks after my claim. However, after stating that they were wrong to demand this when it is clear in their policy wording that the insurance expires regardless, they seem to have backed down.

However, before they decide to 'process' my claim they are demanding that I pay for a new passport in advance then send them a receipt. Can they do this? I have already provided them evidence of how much a new passport would cost , and do not want to pay in advance incase they reject my claim.... Leaving me out of pocket.

I may still be able to travel in my damaged passport, but obviously want a new one as I paid for expensive insurance to cover me. I do not want to end up in a situation where I pay for a damaged passport, then they reject my claim afterwards. Nowhere in their policy wording does it state that the policy holder must pay in advance for lost/stolen/damaged goods, and then reclaim the money.

Are they being reasonable? If they decide to hold off processing my claim, can I still take it to the ombudsman?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

(Policy wording below)

Acesecure.co.uk/common/docs/en/policywording/2008/ACE_UK_Traveller_PolicyWording_2008(d).pdf

Threaten to sue them for treating you unfairly and being in breach of ICOBS esp. rule 8.1.2

You have a statutory right to sue them under the Small Claims rules in the County Court. Very easy to do - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?394131-Small-Claims-actions-in-the-County-Court-FAQ-work-in-progress