Northern rail fare avoidance fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A couple of weeks ago i was travelling from Crewe to Stockport and due to a change in my circumstances i hadn't bought a return ticket.

I had to rush home as a close family member had been taken to hospital and i wasn't thinking straight.

I ran for the train and just got on.

When i arrived at Stockport, my head wasn't in the right place and i had said i had traveled from Wilmslow instead of Crewe.

Eventually i told the truth when i had calmed down a bit.

I went to pay at the exit and my card wasn't accepted in the machine.

I also offered to go under supervision to the cash point to get the required money but this was rejected.

They took my details and said they would be in contact.

I received the letter last week and i sent it back explaining what had happened.

I was just wondering what i would be liable to pay and if i would need to go to court.

Also i am due to fly to America to do my second year of University study there in August and i would like this to be solved by then.

Does anyone have any idea how long these cases take to finish?

ok so you've sent a 'pleading/grovelling letter' ?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yeah i sent the letter back Tuesday to arrive today.

On the back, as requested i put that i was at full fault but explained about my family member

and that i would accept any fine they would give me.

I also put about the card and their member of staff but pointed out i wasn't trying to shift the blame to either of these things

ok see what they say.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Unfortunately, saying you travelled from another station hasn't helped matters (I'm assuming Wilmslow is closer to your destination?). Northern have been known to be quite lenient in such circumstances for a first offence before, and settled with their equivalent of a Penalty Fare (they don't operate a Penalty Fare scheme as such, but use an £80 Fixed Penalty Notice or similar).

As far as the length of time. If they choose to go to court, they have 6-months from the date of the offence to lay the matter before the courts (Ie; book it in). You could quite easily be looking at 8 or 9 months from start to finish. If they issue you with the FPN I mentioned earlier, it'll more than likely be a few weeks at most, as long as you pay it.