Future Employer wants 5 year checkable history

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just been offered a fantastic new job, which I worked hard to get. The only problem s they will require a 5 year checkable work history.

Which wouldnt normally be a problem, but I was suspended from a previous job while investigations were being made.

It caused me that much stress that I ended up handing my notice in as I really wasnt up to dealing with it at the time.

Looking back now I should've seen it through, but its easy now to say that.

That was 12 months ago, and I worked there for 5 years, so really that job takes up 4 years of my 5 year checkable history.

What do I do??

What will the future employer ask for, is it just to confirm that I worked there or will it be more in depth.

I really need advice!

Now, the first thing here is that you say that you left before the Investigation was completed. So, the company can't legally say anything about the matter as the Investigation was not completed without running the risk of being sued for defamation. The best they can do is to say you worked for them between X and Y and leave it at that.

Reason you left - after 5 years - you wanted a change - to move on.

It depends on the company tbh. I went for a role with EDF and they wanted 10 years checkable and all they asked for is confirmation that I had worked for them.

I guess the issue would be though if you need to use them as a reference? You could do what I did with EDF and ask them what they'd be asking employers, say you're just wondering as you've never had anyone do this before so you're curious. That way you'll know for certain what they ask!

That's what I'm hoping for, like Trurider has said above, because I left before the investigation was complete, they shouldnt be able to comment on it for defamation reaons. But on the other hand they could say I was suspended :(

I have just been offered a fantastic new job, which I worked hard to get. The only problem s they will require a 5 year checkable work history.

Which wouldnt normally be a problem, but I was suspended from a previous job while investigations were being made.

It caused me that much stress that I ended up handing my notice in as I really wasnt up to dealing with it at the time.

Looking back now I should've seen it through, but its easy now to say that.

That was 12 months ago, and I worked there for 5 years, so really that job takes up 4 years of my 5 year checkable history.

What do I do??

What will the future employer ask for, is it just to confirm that I worked there or will it be more in depth.

I really need advice!

I assume that the Personnel Clerk, representing the employer, can actually read.... and could infer this information from the Application Form or CV which you supplied.

Yeah I could do...its just worrying me as I really need a fresh start! :)

Exactly it's worrying you and unless you ask you wont know and it will stress you out........just casually mention you've never been asked for this before and was it to check your work history. They'll tell you what they want and then you'll know.

Have you looked at their website? Or done a search ie work history for "company name" some people may have already talked about it?

I would hope the personnel staff can read!! and it wasnt disclosed on my application form/cv....I stated that I wanted a career change.

I think they meant your 5 year history. But with the fact that some people embellish their CVs some companies do just check that you did indeed work where you claim it's not done to catch anyone out as in a bad employment history just that you were where you said you were

I think they meant your 5 year history. But with the fact that some people embellish their CVs some companies do just check that you did indeed work where you claim it's not done to catch anyone out as in a bad employment history just that you were where you said you were

The issue of a 5 year checkable history will prove problematic in some cases.... firstly, if the candidate is 21 or 22, they will have secured Professional Experience from the age of 15, but if older than 25, will be more than 5 years. Secondly, if the candidate were employed within a company which went bust and left not forwarding address to a Facilities Management Company, then any mail may be stamped "return To Sender".

essentially the 5 year history is to check a) you weren't sacked for stealing or other very bad things and b) you weren't in the jail. Everything else is of little importance.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Now, the first thing here is that you say that you left before the Investigation was completed. So, the company can't legally say anything about the matter as the Investigation was not completed without running the risk of being sued for defamation. The best they can do is to say you worked for them between X and Y and leave it at that.

Reason you left - after 5 years - you wanted a change - to move on.

That's not totally true - while not wishing to scaremonger they can legitimately say "resigned while under investigation for "x" " Hopefully "x" is quite trivial.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

essentially the 5 year history is to check a) you weren't sacked for stealing or other very bad things and b) you weren't in the jail. Everything else is of little importance.

Ours is not the reason why.... of course, a CRB Check would provide information on any charges and criminal convictions, a Security Check (using the MOD's/Defense Agencies Security System) will flag up anything of concern, and a financial check will flag up any financial issues of concern.

The issue as to why some Personnel Clerk may be obsessed with 5 years is of concern.

The issue as to why some Personnel Clerk may be obsessed with 5 years is of concern.

Because it'll be a requirement of the employer, and a very standard one at that.

There's nothing odd at all about this request, many employers have it as a requirement! In fact all employers I've worked with for the last 10 years...

You do seem to have an issue with "personnel clerks" however! It's a quite valid job, and an important one to make sure people are legit, and get paid!

Because it'll be a requirement of the employer, and a very standard one at that.

There's nothing odd at all about this request, many employers have it as a requirement! In fact all employers I've worked with for the last 10 years...

You do seem to have an issue with "personnel clerks" however! It's a quite valid job, and an important one to make sure people are legit, and get paid!

HR Departments, within SME's, are occupied by a plethora of Personnel Clerks.

HR Departments, within SME's, are occupied by a plethora of Personnel Clerks.

your point being? What's caused the chip on your shoulder?