Housing benefit I need help asap :-(

faith83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, first I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place. I need some advice..... I have been in receipt of Housing benefit and council tax support since dec 12 when my partner came out of work. I was on maternity leave until may 2012.

He started working again on 21st feb this year, he was working away, I stupidly forgot to notify them, and only thought about it when the wrote to me asking for my payslips as my maternity had ended and they had suspended my claim.

I sent my payslips without a second thought, but still didn't tell them my partner had started work, I don't want to make excuses but my new baby son has health problems hence my head being all over, he's currently seeing a consultant at the hospital.

I then after this got a letter asking for more info they wanted bank statements, well I just paniced as my partners wages have been going in the account.

I rang them and told them I wanted my claim ending as my partner had started work and I was returning also, as I didn't want to get into trouble I said he started that week (stupid I know).

The next day I rang them back as I realised I could get into serious trouble for this and I didn't want this to happen and is wasn't my intention, I explained how he worked away and my son has been ill and I haven't been thinking straight, he totally sympathized with me and told me not to worry and I'd just receive a bill for the overpayment of benefit.

I have rang everyday to see if the have looked into it yet but they haven't. I am sooo scared they r going to think I have lied on purpose to get benefits which is not the case, I have offered to repay everypenny as soon as possible.

Will I get in trouble for fraud??

Can anyone give any info on what to do please, thank you in advance xx

Edited by citizenB
formatting

You are in the correct forums, someone will be with you as soon as they can :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sorry my maternity ended on 20th May 2013, not 2012! Will they not class it as benefit fraud because I have given misleading information? I really can't stop thinking about this I just want them to calculate what I owe and me pay it back and be done with it. I have told them I wasn't thinking straight, as at the time I had a lot on with my son being ill etc, I just can't help but think they r going to make an example of me, will I have to attend an interview under caution? Any advice is greatly apperciated

Now, from what I remember there would be a period that they would continue to pay housing benefit after he returned to work as the tap so to say, is not immediately turned off.

My guess is that, if it is the only time, they will calculate what was overpaid and ask you to pay it back. They will not want to take a prosecution only for a Judge to make that an order and award costs against them for wasting the courts time.

I just can't help but think they will look at all there notes and say you said this date now I've changed it to this date, one women was quizzing me when I ended the claim asking what I was living on as I was on unpaid leave I just said tax credits and my child benefit, I should of told her then he'd started work, but I just paniced :-((. When I rang yesterday she looked back at the notes and saw that and said u could of told us then, I explained to her that I paniced, as I knew I should of informed them earlier, and she just went on to say they will look into it...-ve built up an overpayment of about 650 pounds. I really don't want to be suspected of fraud :-(

I hope so I've told them and fully admit I've been wrong and just want to pay it back and she noted all that down, I'm just scared they will send me a letter for an interview, I can only wait now, she said it can take upto 7weeks to process!

In the grand scheme of things that over payment is tiny, honestly. I was over paid 1600 incl council tax, & even the compliance officer said mine was 'tiny in the grand scheme of things' as she said they have people that have been over paid for some years, into the many thousands.

It's not worth it to the public purse to prosecute someone for 650 pounds. I would be soooooo surprised to hear anything about prosecution. They'll obviously want it back. If you aren't claiming the housing benefit anymore, they may get funny about taking small installments, but if you are still claiming it, they'll take it out of ongoing benefit weekly.

Don't be alarmed if they do call you in for an IUC, my council do if the over payment is over 500. But that's just standard procedure here.

Thank you everyone for replying, I rang again today and was told the overpayment was showing I've been overpaid 591 pounds, I aked if any action as going to be taken as I was worried they might think I've defrauded them on purpose, which I haven't I explained again how I'd had a lot on etc, she said the letter is in the post to me and I've just to make an arrangement to repay it, I've been in contact with them and made a weekly arrangement, I feel so much better now :-). Thanks again everyone I think this site is brill lots of information xx