Citizens Advice warns of "Bailiff Boom" as families struggle with council tax cuts....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Following the introduction of the Government Welfare Reforms last month Citizens Advice are seeing evidence of a huge increase in online enquiries from families struggling with council tax debts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/24/bailiffs-council-tax-citizens-advice_n_3329872.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Looks like the secondhand shops will be full of worthless goods as people sell stuff to stay one step ahead of the bailiff, and values will plummet as the bailiffs clear houses goods seized and removed will fetch 5% or less of value at auction, but bully bailiff won't care, it will be steak and chips for him whilst his victims will be lucky to afford a tin of economy beans to feed a family.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I am seriously concerned with the impact on vulnerable people under the new Welfare Reforms. The changes are only just being felt and it is a very worrying time indeed.

To further highlight the seriousness of the changes imposed under the Welfare Reforms that have recently been introduced, an 80 year old vicar has decided to stop paying his council tax and will if necessary, go to prison in order to highlight the problems facing vulnerable and impoverished members of the public.

What will be worrying for the Government is that the vicar is very high profile person and until very recently, was a member of the Enforcement Law Reform Group which for the past 14 years has been lobbying Parliament for better regulation of the bailiff industry ( I have been a member of ELRG for the past 6 years).

Reverend Paul Nicolson is Chairman of the anti poverty charity; Zaccheus 2000 Trust which is commonly known as Z2K and last year he founded Taxpayers against Poverty ( which was set up to oppose changes under the welfare reforms which will affect the poor).

Zaccheus 2000 provides assistance to vulnerable families with very little income in and around Haringey, Westmintser,Barnet, Southwark and Southwark.

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/10391395.Vicar_refuses_to_pay_council_tax_to_protest_benefit_changes/

You are not the only one-Benefits are in place to give people the minimum amount of money deemed required to survive-The councils are now taking some of this money off them which seems contrary to the Social Security Administration Act 1992 (S 187)

In addition people are being taxed for living in a property that they may have occupied for 10 years or more because there are families living in overcrowded conditions-Does this tax get passed on to the people in the overcrowded conditions? No Do the people in overcrowded conditions get tax relief? No.The money goes to the councils whose directors pay themselves nice big employer paid pension plans that are in excess of the wages for the average man.

If people struggle to find this money,bailiffs are let loose to inflict duress and intimidation as its the cheapest option available under the A & E regs.A complaint to the council is fell on deaf ears despite the LGO Focus Report 28th Nov 2012 highlighting concerns that councils do not investigate complaints properly.

To further highlight the seriousness of the changes imposed under the Welfare Reforms that have recently been introduced, an 80 year old vicar has decided to stop paying his council tax and will if necessary, go to prison in order to highlight the problems facing vulnerable and impoverished members of the public.

What will be worrying for the Government is that the vicar is very high profile person and until very recently, was a member of the Enforcement Law Reform Group which for the past 14 years has been lobbying Parliament for better regulation of the bailiff industry ( I have been a member of ELRG for the past 6 years).

Reverend Paul Nicolson is Chairman of the anti poverty charity; Zaccheus 2000 Trust which is commonly known as Z2K and last year he founded Taxpayers against Poverty ( which was set up to oppose changes under the welfare reforms which will affect the poor).

Zaccheus 2000 provides assistance to vulnerable families with very little income in and around Haringey, Westmintser,Barnet, Southwark and Southwark.

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/10391395.Vicar_refuses_to_pay_council_tax_to_protest_benefit_changes/

Pensioners have done this previously in order to highlight the problems regarding Council Tax. If I recall, one elderly lady with-held some because she believed she wasn't getting VFM. I think she was quite upset when an anonymous person paid the outstanding CT, because she had her bag already packed ready for her prison stay.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A pensioner who had to sell her wedding ringto meet her living expenses vowed to go to jail today after appearing in court for failing to pay all of her council tax.

June Farrow, 72, wore a hand-written placard around her neck with the message'Council Tax Injustice' when she arrived at Norwich magistrates court.

The retired nurse from Bawburgh near Norwich, Norfolk, has only been paying £25a month in council tax for the last three months as she claims she cannot afford her full monthly bill of £99 without dipping into her savings.

Read more : - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027483/Pensioner-June-Farrow-facing-jail-refusing-pay-council-tax.html

Retired social worker Sylvia Hardy, 73, has become the first woman pensioner to be jailed for refusing to pay council tax arrears when she was sentenced to seven days in prison.

Silver-haired rebel Sylvia Hardy, from Exeter, Devon, had failed to pay her arrears from last year - £53.71 in council tax plus £10 costs.

She was sentenced today at Exeter magistrates court.

Another Vicar :)

Retired vicar Alfred Ridley, 71, from Towcester, Northants, earlier this month became the first person to be jailed - for 28 days - for no-payment of £63 of his council tax bill.

Read more : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1499246/Woman-73-jailed-for-failing-to-pay-council-tax.html

And they kept him in a high security prison !!

A retired vicar, jailed for refusing to settle his council tax bill, has been told he will spend all his sentence in the high security Woodhill Prison.

Read more : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/4235774.stm

Edited by citizenB

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A 75 year old retired soldier - this was one where an anonymous donor paid the outstanding CT - Although this article was written in 2010. It seems as though this happened in 2006.

Soldier tax protester freedafter secret donor pays debt

A 75-year-old retired soldier jailed for refusing to pay his council tax was today being freed after an anonymous benefactor cleared the £1,300 debt, a local authority said.

Great-grandfather Richard Fitzmaurice, of Heacham,Norfolk, was given a 32-day sentence by magistrates in King’s Lynn, Norfolk, on Monday after King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council failed to persuade him to pay his latest annual bill.

Mr. Fitzmaurice said he was not paying because he thought the tax unfair. A council spokesman today said an anonymous donor had cleared the debt and Mr. Fitzmaurice would be freed later.

“The debt has been cleared by a benefactor who wishes to remain anonymous,” said a spokeswoman for King’s Lynn and West Norfolk BoroughCouncil. “We have informed the Prison Service and would expect Mr. Fitzmaurice to be released later today.”

Read more: http://sniggle.net/TPL/index5.php?entry=15Nov10

From what I can see from googling, there were quite a few pensioners who were prepared to stand up against the CT increases.

BCOBS

I wonder how many of theseCouncils were ones who invested Tax Payer's money into the Icelandic banks !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7659783.stm

At least 20 councils in England and Wales are known to have deposits in Landsbanki - some of tens of millions.

Kent County Council alone has £50m in Iceland-based banks, while Westminster City Council revealed it had deposits totalling £17m.

Sutton Council in south London confirmed it had exposure totalling £5.5m, and Havering Council in east London said it had investments worth £12.5m.

North Lincolnshire Council has £2m invested with Landsbanki and £3.5m in the firm's UK bank, Heritable. North East Lincolnshire Council said it had £2.5m on deposit with Landsbanki.

Hertfordshire County Council has £17m invested, while Buckinghamshire has £5m - the same sum as Cornwall County Council.

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

Pensioners have done this previously in order to highlight the problems regarding Council Tax. If I recall, one elderly lady with-held some because she believed she wasn't getting VFM. I think she was quite upset when an anonymous person paid the outstanding CT, because she had her bag already packed ready for her prison stay.

I have met Reverend Paul Nicolson on many occasions in the past 6 years and I would hazard a guess that he intends to see his protest through to the bitter end and he would not be pleased if anyone paid the debt on his behalf.

I have met Reverend Paul Nicolson on many occasions in the past 6 years and I would hazard a guess that he intends to see his protest through to the bitter end and he would not be pleased if anyone paid the debt on his behalf.

Whilst I am not advocating civil disobedience, if enough people do this, will it change government's stance on this ?

BCOBS

I wonder how many of these Councils were ones who invested Tax Payer's money into the Icelandic banks !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7659783.stm

CitizenB

I am sure that you will not mind if I tell you that the information that you have given of "at lest 20 councils" having deposits in Landsbanki does not in fact give the true picture.

In their article the the BBC only provided details of the local authorities known at that time to have deposits in one of the Icelandic banks called Landsbanki.

The following link provides details of 88 local authorities that had deposits in various banks in Iceland. Given that there are just 333 local authorities it demonstrates that 25% of all councils displayed a most appalling recklessness with tax payers money .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/oct/10/localgovernment-iceland

Many people would be surprised to know that most local authorities in England & Wales have a fortune tied up in works of art.

There are approx 200,000 oil paintings in public ownership in the UK according to the Public Catalogue Foundation and around 10% of these are held by LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

These works of art include LS Lowry, Picasso and so many other famous painters.

Many local authorities have loaned their art collections to galleries in Italy and New York.

The plot thickens.....

CitizenB

I am sure that you will not mind if I tell you that the information that you have given of "at lest 20 councils" having deposits in Landsbanki does not in fact give the true picture.

In their article the the BBC only provided details of the local authorities known at that time to have deposits in one of the Icelandic banks called Landsbanki.

The following link provides details of 88 local authorities that had deposits in various banks in Iceland. Given that there are just 333 local authorities it demonstrates that 25% of all councils displayed a most appalling recklessness with tax payers money .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/oct/10/localgovernment-iceland

Not at all, thank you for this information. It makes it even more shocking that the tax payer and more importantly the vulnerable are having to pick up the pieces, yet again.

:)

BCOBS

And they still use the taxpayers money recklessly on frivolous things. I can name a few things my own council have done and wasted thousands.

I cannot get my head around the fact that these people who are sent to prison for a few hundred pounds, mainly pensioners, get sent to prison, because it costs far more to keep them there than what they actually owe.

Who is being punished here the non paying tax person or the government, which in turn are funded by the taxpayer.

I admire the people who do this, to make a stand for such an unfair government with regards to the council tax, however it will take far more people to stand together before something is done.

Its the taxpayer that really loses out here because in due course the government will reap back the losses by putting up the taxes further.

I fear that it will take something like a pensioner dying in prison before this kind of punishment will stop.

Mark,

You have just said that councils are raking in money from illegal charges for issuing summons & liability orders. This is not the case at all.

The councils may indeed apply charges and this is provided in the statutory regulations.

Where the problem arises is with the councils calculation of the amount of the summons costs etc.

Meanwhile in the cold cruel really real world, Cameron enjoys his holiday, as the Independent reports that councils and housing providers are preparing to evict families for rent arrears accrued due to the Bedroonm Tax

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tenants-face-eviction-over-controversial-bedroom-tax-8633008.html

and

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/blind-widow-threatened-eviction-home-1908070

And the connection to bailiffs? Well who will be tasked with collecting arrears still due after eviction,..... THE BAILIFF, no doubt they will attend the B & B the family are in and threarten to seize goods.............

As a board member of a housing charity, I am concerned and afraid for our vulnerable tenants.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

brassnecked

I had no idea until reading your above post that you are a board member of a housing charity. These are very worrying times indeed for vulnerable tenants. The next few months could well be serious.

Mark,

You have just said that councils are raking in money from illegal charges for issuing summons & liability orders. This is not the case at all.

The councils may indeed apply charges and this is provided in the statutory regulations.

Where the problem arises is with the councils calculation of the amount of the summons costs etc.

I believe the charges are illegal TT.

As you well know,Reg 34,7 (b) allows for sums equal to costs incurred.

Whatever way you look at it or whatever slant you put on it £80-£120 for a couple of computer generated letters,postage & stationary does not equate to anything near £80-£120 if we were just talking about one individual case,let alone the block bookings that magistrates courts regularly deal with,often rubber stamping 100's of LO's in less than an hour.

The A&E regs are abused from Schedule 5,all the way through to 34,7 (b).

For a council to obtain monies that are over and above that prescribed in the A&R,they must be acting illegally yet they are continually permitted to get away with it.If people were allowed to receive costs on the basis of the precedent that the councils have set then at least a balance would exist,however it doesn't work like that.

Many people would be surprised to know that most local authorities in England & Wales have a fortune tied up in works of art.

There are approx 200,000 oil paintings in public ownership in the UK according to the Public Catalogue Foundation and around 10% of these are held by LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

These works of art include LS Lowry, Picasso and so many other famous painters.

Many local authorities have loaned their art collections to galleries in Italy and New York.

The plot thickens.....

If your spleen is sturdy :) look at Whole of Government Accounts (WGA)

brassnecked

I had no idea until reading your above post that you are a board member of a housing charity. These are very worrying times indeed for vulnerable tenants. The next few months could well be serious.

The next few months could be a harrowing time indeed, at least in Wales the full council tax will be covered for families on low income at least for this year that were formerly entitled to full Council Tax Benefit unlike England, but the Spare Room Subsidy aka bedroom Tax is going to be a massive issue. Incidentally the name is a misnomer as what other rooms could they later decide are spare? a dining room, a utility? the mind boggles

Lamma

I last looked at the Whole of Government site a couple of years ago. I had a brief glance a few moments ago and your advice is correct....you need "a sturdy spleen" or in my case......a large glass of white !!!

Having looked, one feels like more thsn a couple of stiff drinks.