AST, split with partner, and guarantor requirement by letting agent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4042 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Currently have an AST due for renewal. Have paid £70 for the letting agent's "contract fees" for 12 months renewal. However, since this me and my partner, whose father was guarantor, have split up. She has moved back with her parents and is looking for her own place, and we have mutually agreed that I can continue living in the property. The contract has not yet been signed and needs to be done soon.

The main problem is I have no family who could act as a guarantor, and the letting agents insists on one. My ex partner's Dad has said he would be a guarantor on a 6 monthly basis. It's a nice gesture, but to be honest I'd much rather not put my ex partner's Dad under that sort of potential financial obligation. I'd much rather be splitting any such ties.

Should I just sign for 6 months with ex partner's Dad as guarantor?

Might not signing and going on a rolling monthly contract be an option? The letting agent has not touted this as a possible option, I guess because of the revenue they make charging contract fees for 2 minutes work. So I suspect the letting agent will be against this idea.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: probably appropriate to note in terms of employment, I am almost guaranteed a 12 month contract from September 2013, but a permanent position is a strong possibility.

Edited by leedsguy
employment status

Have you contacted LL direct to explain & negotiate? LL employs LA

Personally I would want a personal G for a single T with a job but no perm employment contract.

It is for you to decide whether to accept ex's father's kind offer for 6 month fixed terrm AST

If you pay rent on time and look after the property, G will not be involved and there will be no reason for contact.

So far as I am aware LL does not live in the UK, but do not have contact details in any case. Besides, rent is not much above local housing allowance set by the Council so not like there's a financial issue.

So I guess money overrules not leaving people homeless because they don't have anyone to be a guarantor. And you all wonder why there are "types of people" who prefer to live their lives on benefits, pfft. Makes me wonder if it was really worth all the effort of trying to do better than my underclass background and making some effort by going to University after leaving school with nothing, then overcoming the difficulties of my disability to get a job. Some people can't be privileged enough to just lay back and watch the money roll in as every law protects their investment returns, and tenants have few real rights.

There's a good lesson people. If you live on a Council estate with your mum, just stay there and keep claiming the benefits. The world is just full of greedy self-entitled insensitive people.

How does #3 rant relate to limited info original post Qs which I addressed in my balanced? reply.

I am also a working class Univ graduate.When my father died (Council worker) he left his entire estate (£500 in post ofice) to his never employed wife (my mother) who never claimed benefits, other than widow's and later OAP.

I have had some reasonably paid jobs, interspersed with JSA claims, allowing me to become a LL.

My mantra is 'the world owes you a living, but you have to work hard to secure it'