Absense meeting? What to expect, do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Apologies in advance for the long post.

This is my first time posting on this page but I really need some advice and help. In November 2012 after being in my job for a year and three months I started having health problems in regards to bowel and epilepsy. I was signed off work until March 2013 and then I returned back to work. Work had involved occupational health which I agreed to and we arranged for me to go back to work part time for 3 days and then full time straight away after.

There was a virus within the work place which I caught and unfortunately set off my conditions again. we were also in -10 weather with no heating due to the radiators being frozen but we still had to work. I was then signed off in April. I am still signed off work Occupational health has been made aware and process started again.

I spoke to occupational health on Thursday just gone because they required an update doctors have said hopefully I can return in 3-4 weeks once further investigation has been completed. On the Friday my workplace contacted me by email requesting for me to go for a meeting the following week and I agreed to Monday 2:30 (20th May) I received a letter from my work today stating this is an absence meeting. All my sick leave is over these 2 absences.

I have never had any single days etc I have never heard about a absence meeting before they haven't offered me to have anyone there just my manager and a member of staff from the human resources. Any ideas on what I can expect, what can happen, what they can do, what I should do etc? I've never been in this situation before.

Absence meeting can mean a welfare/return to work meeting, or a meeting under the attendance and absence policy. Do you know which this is?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi Emmzzi

All the letter says is that its an absence meeting and informal to discuss how I am and any other issues i may be having. But they have all the details same as occupational health which is why I am confused on why they are calling a meeting but they haven't stated any policy in which the meeting is regarding

OK. This is not kind of meeting that leads to a warning. its a "how can we help you get back to work" meeting, so go ready to work with them. The other kind of meeting may or may not follow.

This is all normal :-)

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi There,

Thank you for letting me know unfortunetly they ended my contract :( i'm now applying for job seekers don't know what my rights are or anything or how they are allowed to do this but got to try get some money in some how x

Just like that? I am floored! You should have had a letter telling you the meeting may lead to dismissal and yu had a right o be accompanied - did any of that happen? Were you on a permanent full time contract?

I only received one letter stating it was an informal meeting which was why created the post as wasn't sure what it meant and they said today that a l etter confirming dismissal of immediate effect was in post and that was it. they said even through the doctors confirmed i could return in 3-4 weeks they would not accept this i even offered to work from home and or part time until i returned to work and they said that this was not allowed either. I am at a lost I did not know they could do this. I was a full time permanent employee since 0ct 2011 I just can't get my head around it.

OP - legally, they can't do that.

I would see a lawyer ASAP - without the correct procedure being followed, you potentially have an arguable case for unfair dismissal and disability discrimination (if you can show the bowel issues/epilepsy constitute a disability in law, which is a relatively low hurdle).

Take some advice from a professional - and be wary of the three month time limit for issuing a claim!