British Gas Deemed Contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When moving into a property, you enter a "deemed contact" to pay the present supplier of gas and electricity for the energy you use.

Without signing or ever even reading a contract, you're legally bound to their terms and conditions of supply from the moment you start using their product.

As British Gas stipulate they report your account status to the CRAs in their standard ts and cs they immediately start reporting your account activity to experian, without you even knowing. Is this legal?

I presume you are a local housing tennant cause this happened to me and I was not happy but it is in the housing missive

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

When moving into a property, you enter a "deemed contact" to pay the present supplier of gas and electricity for the energy you use.

Without signing or ever even reading a contract, you're legally bound to their terms and conditions of supply from the moment you start using their product.

As British Gas stipulate they report your account status to the CRAs in their standard ts and cs they immediately start reporting your account activity to experian, without you even knowing. Is this legal?

That is correct and all suppliers do the same. It is always in your best interest and also your responsibility to find out the name of the supplier for your property. In the meantime the supplier can charge you what ever takes their fancy.

The questions is more surrounding their monthly reporting to Experian regarding the status of your account. I'm in a privately owned property and just find it bizzare that without ever speaking/signing a contract with a company, they have the legal right to report monthly information to the CRAs.

The questions is more surrounding their monthly reporting to Experian regarding the status of your account. I'm in a privately owned property and just find it bizzare that without ever speaking/signing a contract with a company, they have the legal right to report monthly information to the CRAs.

If there is no contract, they should not be reporting it to the CRAs and it should not be showing up on your credit file as you never gave them permission to do a credit check. They are in conflict with the Data protection Act.

Hi this is one of the reasons that my local housing association have the gas and electric safety certificates renewed for each new tenancy with start meter readings saved me with BG trying to charge me for last tenants closing bill of £256

dpick

So they cannot report to experian without ur permission. BG aren't part of the CCA so think they have unique rules and rights based on the gas act 86 which means anyone using the supply is legally bound to the ts and cs which state information will be shared with cras