Large debt and now mortgage!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4041 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi i have a question if anybody is able to help i would be most grateful.

Money owed to a major bank £24k

this was year 2000 ccj was granted,

now i have heard nothing since 2003,

nothing on credit files or ccj register.

i approached a mortgage advisor as i thought my credit wasnt to bad now

but i told theml under no circumstances to go to this bank,

left it in their hands,

she phoned me back 4 hours later and said she had a offer in principle from this bank!!!!!!!

now my question is will the bank know it is me?

and has this opened up a can of worms.

should i stop her from doing full application tommorow?

will they still have my records 13 years later.

alittle bit stressed now!!

could kill mortage advisors why didnt they listen to me.

thankyou

sorry if this is wrong place.:-x

A CCJ never becomes Stat barred but if left unenforced for more than six years they will have to go back in front of a judge.

Most banks say they destroy the paperwork after 6 years, but we all know they lie and cheat and well may have the info on you from 13 years ago.

Out of interest, has anything changed, like your address/surname since 2000? It's also worth remembering that "the bank" as they were then could be a very different organisation now, with all the mergers that have taken place this century. I think there is a good chance that the info on what you ownd and the CCJ are probably long gone, even though it's still enforcable.

The other possibility is that they have been chasing you but can't find you because you've moved? Just a thought.

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

they knew where i was from 2000-2003. from 2003 they wouldnt know as wasnt on electorol register, surname has always stayed same.

the debt was 24k the court ordered me to pay £20 a month but i wasnt in the right frame of mind to pay anything back then. they didnt even chase me when they knew where i was.

i know they have probably sold the debt on many times but its the records they keep im worried about. if they do the full application and it goes to there underwriters will they twig???????????

its gone dead finished

forget about it

there's nowt they could do now anyhow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yes ofcourse

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If it were me I'd kick the adviser and go somewhere else. Lots of options out there; why pay a mortgage adviser when they don't follow your instruction? I wouldn't want to risk being turned down at all and there is an element of risk, even if only a slim one. But then I'm overly cautious. Another mortgage company won't turn the CCJ up after this time, but internal records might pop up a red flag. Only might...but....

Thankyou.

Finally i decided not to go with the bank.instead i went with my building society. Experian score off 779 wasnt confident. Well passed the credit check i think and process has began. But i have a question.

I told them i have never owned house so im first time buyer.

Now i had a house repossessed approx 11/12 years ago will they be able to detect this? Will they no iv had a house b4? And can they find out about the repo?

My credit file is clear.

Many thanks again

You need to be careful. I've no idea if they could find out but if they did so after granting you a mortgage there could be an issue and you could be accused of fraud. I suspect that this happens all the time (and, after all, why should something that happened 12 years ago affect you now) but that's the British banking industry works.

Thankyou.

Finally i decided not to go with the bank.instead i went with my building society. Experian score off 779 wasnt confident. Well passed the credit check i think and process has began. But i have a question.

I told them i have never owned house so im first time buyer.

Now i had a house repossessed approx 11/12 years ago will they be able to detect this? Will they no iv had a house b4? And can they find out about the repo?

My credit file is clear.

Many thanks again

You need to be careful. I've no idea if they could find out but if they did so after granting you a mortgage there could be an issue and you could be accused of fraud. I suspect that this happens all the time (and, after all, why should something that happened 12 years ago affect you now) but that's the British banking industry works.

With mortgage applications you need to be very careful. Suggest you have a read of National Hunter website, then send them £10 + 2 proofs of ID to PO BOX 2756, Stoke-on-Trent ST6 9AQ for details they hold on you. For mortgage applications banks do check NH

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

As you never finished the mortgage on the previous property - you never owned the house outright - so you can say in good faith that you have never owned a house. Many lenders define anyone who is not currently a homeowner as a first-time buyer and you can feel good that you helping them with their first time buyer lending targets. The downside is that it will put you at the top of their list for cross marketing of buildings insurance, home emergency cover etc, etc, etc

Sorry but this is incorrect. Leaving aside the exact meaning of ownership, the OP would be said to have owned the repossessed property subject to a charge in favour of the mortgage company. You may well be right that many lenders regard anyone who doesn't currently own a property as a first time buyer but that's a different issue.

As you never finished the mortgage on the previous property - you never owned the house outright - so you can say in good faith that you have never owned a house. Many lenders define anyone who is not currently a homeowner as a first-time buyer and you can feel good that you helping them with their first time buyer lending targets. The downside is that it will put you at the top of their list for cross marketing of buildings insurance, home emergency cover etc, etc, etc

Hi Seminole - you are of course correct - what I was trying to put across was a reasonable response that the OP could use if challenged by the lender regarding his statement about not previously owning a property in the highly unlikley event details of his previous property coming to light - apologies if I was unclear.

If the original property was repossessed, was their a shortfall ? They can come after you for 12 years for that - although if the Lender was a member of the CML, they are supposed to not chase after 6 years if they haven't been in contact during that time.

I have to admit, I don't think I could stand the stress of knowing that I hadn't been entirely truthful on a mortgage application form.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

one of the standard questions on a mortgage application form is- have you ever had a property taken into possession voluntarily or otherwise by a lender?-hence post no 19

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.